Friday 4 May 2018

May's Pull List: Black Science #35

So the May month has begun and this month I have nine issues on my pull list coming out, a much larger number than what April had (maybe this is a good sign).

Of course, five of these issues are for the new Star Trek: The Next Generation: Through the mirror series, which is being released weekly. Those issues I've decided to put to one side to be read as a single story.

But, for now, that still leaves me with four other comics to write about (if I so choose). Therefore, I've decided to start off on a positive and note down my thoughts about  one of those other four.

Black Science #35.
Photo taken from
Comixology.
So I've started with Black Science #35, which jumped ahead in time from the prior arc to find Grant and Sarah McKay having been summoned from their dimension jumping efforts to locate their universe, and with it their children, to meet with someone wanting them to do one simple thing: accept their children are gone.

In honesty, I don't have much more to say about the plot of this issue (not without spoiling it anyway) as, compared to the previous arc, issue 35 is a very quiet issue, one which focuses on the reflection by both Grant and Sarah on their lives and past mistakes. This issue is very much lacking on action compared to much of the series before it but I did enjoy reading it as, once again, it was nice to see Grant attempt to figure himself out while also learning infinitely more about how he has become the character we now have. This I enjoyed given my own talent as a screw up (although maybe not on Grant's level) because it ultimately shows that who Grant isn't so much obnoxious or arrogant but instead is just very badly damaged.

Of course, Sarah has her own story arc here as she is sent to another world to see how her life could have turned out differently. However, maybe because of her limit appearances in the series compared to her ex-husband, this part of the issue just didn't resonate with me, although it was enjoyable in a more passive sense.

Overall though, despite the quiet vibe, Remender still knocks this book out of the park with his writing (and a couple of 'whoa' revelations and cliffhangers to boot) and Scalara continues to give me the most gorgeous artwork. I really love Black Science, as much (if not more) now as I did when I first picked up an issue those three or four years ago (has it really been that long?).

That said, there is one problem with this issue which totally kills me and it's the note in the letters page where Remender claims the story ends in 7 issues time. This, for me, is heartbreaking given what I just said about this book and makes me hope that he means for the arc and not the title as a whole (although, if it is I did figure they'd last until issue 45 so they could hammer out three 15 issue omnibuses).

Regardless of this though, Black Science is still a fantastic comic series and I'm now really looking forward to seeing how this all ends. The next issue can't come soon enough.

But, in the meantime, I have May's other comics to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment