Thursday 20 September 2018

Holiday reading part 3.

So hear we are. Part 3!! I really didn't expect to spend as much time on this as I have. I guess I really had a lot to say.

However, there are other things I want to be doing with my time (I have a few other things I wanna blog about as well as I want time to script some story ideas I've being thinking up recently) and so this will be the last part (God willing).

Anyway, back to what I'm talking about.

So, after spending some time in the Valiant Universe, I decided to switch lanes at that point and moved towards a graphic novel I'd read previously. Star Trek Volume 1 retells two classic Original Series episodes from the perspective of the Kelvin Timeline crew as in Where No Man has Gone Before, which sees Kirk's friend Lt Mitchell acquire godhood at the edge of the galaxy while, in the Galileo Seven, Kirk, Scotty, Bones and a small crew become stranded on a primitive world.

I had previously read this title a couple of years back and enjoyed it immensely but, upon re-reading it in a similar fashion to Werewolves of Montepellier earlier, I found the impressiveness it imbued on me had subsided somewhat.

Of course, that's not to say that it wasn't a good, enjoyable read this time around, far from it. However, upon revisiting it I struggled to get as invested. Not that I found anything wrong with it as Mike Johnson wrote two competent stories and Stephen Molnar offered solid art.

However, I think that the thing which got me about them was that both stories were not only based on original episodes but I thought they were also almost scene for scene identical to those episodes (which I hadn't watched until after first reading this title).

Of course, as I've been saying, there was nothing wrong with this book, it only didn't appeal to me and gives me little incentive to keep reading this series.

After my little jaunt into Trek, I decided to return to the Marvel Universe with my final two reads and started off with Black Bolt Volume 1, which saw the King of the Inhumans star in his own book as he found himself trapped in a prison from which no one could escape and his immense vocal powers subdued to allow him to speak for the first time (that I know of anyway).

Despite, having seen (and received) recommendations for this book, I was unsure what to expect. However, much like with Ninjak and X-O Manowar, I was really glad I took the dive and give this title a shot. I've always liked Black Bolt and thought of him as an intriguing character, but to here him say what he thinks for a first time really helped to make him a much more interesting character. Saladin Ahmed really put together an awesome story which not only did I enjoy but also made me think and ask questions about some of my beliefs, particularly parenthood.

I think what really made this stand out also the supporting cast, Absorbing Man in particular, who felt like they bounced off of Black Bolt and each other to make some really great dynamics. In fact, possibly my favourite scene was the conversation between Absorbing Man and Black Bolt as they sit chained up with death creeping up on them.

Then, there is Christian Ward's artwork which, although I found a little unusual to look at to start with, won me around as I read on. I think this is because while it gave the entire world the characters were presently inhabiting a very alien look to it, he maintained their very human look, even going so far as to make them look sympathetic in my eyes. Of course, when it then called for going for the nines with the alien looks then he more than succeeded, as evidence with the great look where the Absorbing Man absorbed an alien weapon.

I really loved this book in the end and as such, the second volume was added to my pull list immediately after reading.

And so, that reached us to my final read of my holiday, which was Luke Cage Volume 1 by David F. Walker and Nelson Blake II. This saw Luke summoned to New Orleans after learning that the man who gave his powers, Dr Noah Burnstein, was dead. However, upon arriving for the funeral Luke discoveries that he is not the only recipient of Burnstein's legacy, although this 'brothers' may not be quite as calm as he is.

I had decided to pick up this after recently reading (and enjoying) Power Man and Iron Fist. Given that both titles were written by Walker, I figured that I would also get on well here. However, I didn't find this to be as I struggled to maintain enjoyment of this title as I read it. Of course, there again didn't appear to be anything particularly wrong with either the writing or the art. Indeed, Walker seemed quite adept at capturing Luke's voice as he sounded exactly like he would in my head while Blake gave us some solidly gorgeous work which reminded me of somewhere between Jamie McKelvie and Jonathan Luna.

Unfortunately, for some reason, I just couldn't get engaged with this story, making me think that unless he's on tv (I really did love the Netflix series) or teaming up with Iron Fist, maybe Luke Cage isn't my kind of character.

And there you have it! All seven of my comic book reads from my holiday last week and the thoughts to go with them. Admittedly, it wasn't all great reads from my perspective, but I'm glad I got to try them because (and to put a positive spin on it) you have to read a little of everything because you'll never know what you will enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment