Monday 24 June 2019

Re-reading .... Black Science: Vol. 2 - Welcome, Nowhere

With Volume 1 of the awesome Black Science completely re-read last week (you can see my thoughts on it here), I did worry that essentially forcing my way through the series at one volume a week my impede my enjoyment of it.

Indeed, this seemed to be the case as I ended up reading through all 5 issues of the second volume thrice in order for me to actually get my thoughts in order about what I was reading.

The Cover of Black
Science #7
Fortunately, that third read through, was when I finally twigged what was going on here. Black Science's second volume is nothing like it's first, but that is in no way a bad thing.

(Again, spoilers aplenty. Don't say I didn't warn you!!!)

Taking place (presumably) one world after Volume 1 wrapped up, Remender and Scalara's second arc seemed to begin in a similar vein to their first as the majority of the Anarchist League of Scientists are captured and, apparently, heading to (be) lunch, they are almost immediately rescued by former Dr Smith-like antagonist Kadir, who plays the hero and commandeers the cart, riding away on a fish (seriously!!). From there, it's a mad dash as the (almost) entire gang attempt to escape their cannibalistic former captors as things continue going from bad to worse for our heroes, culminating with yet further losses when the end arrives.

Issues 7 to 11. The contents of
Volume 2.
Now, as I read this issue, and the arc as a whole, it did occur to me that the story beats feel very much the same as with the first arc. Now more is that obvious than with issue 7 which, although not feeling quite as break neck as issue 1, again was fast paced and full of action within yet another escape attempt. However, I did enjoy this issue as, much like with 1, it felt like the cold open of a tv episode as it kind of set the scene. As I re-read this issue though, it occurred to me just how Remender used it to almost reset the story, as he removed all the League's weapons in order to get them back to this more 'reactive' unit who almost blunder through their adventures with minimal finesse.

(Also, as a side note, I never realised that there was a Telepathic Millipede as a prisoner in the opening scene, as if it didn't register with me first time. A nice bit of foreshadowing that I wish I'd picked up on originally).

Kadir to the Rescue!!
From there, the story almost repeats to a degree with the first volume as the pace slows down to allow exposition. Issue 8 sees opens with the kids falling into more trouble after their separation from the rest of the group, while Kadir and the others return to their Pillar to lick their wounds and lament their (supposed) losses. It's this issue (along with issue 9) that really hook me into the series as, once again we learn more about the characters we are following and slowing down so we can catch up and not get too lost. This time however, with Grant gone and Kadir having got the focus in the last issue, we learn more about Nate as well as discover what happened pre- issue 7.

The incredible (and unusual) landscapes
Matteo Scalara offers us!!
Also, we find out more about the recent additions to the team. The Shaman has to be, without a doubt my favourite character of this series and it's in this issue that his place is cemented as he reveals not only his hidden secret but also his understanding of the 'Black Science' they are all using and his own past that got him to today. It's at this point I must confess I wonder 'Is that Mantis another Grant McKay?' (His past certainly sounds familiar). And then there is Chandra. I omitted focusing on her 'encounter' with the energy ghost in the last issue, but here that moment starts to take greater focus as I recall being intrigued by what it/her plans are as she studies the pillar (although I wonder where she got the notebook).


Seriously, Is this a Grant McKay?
Issue 9 is more of the same, but I love the opening focus on Rebecca. I recalled as I read this that I found myself a little confused by what I was reading, thinking that this was Pia and Nate's memory. However, as we get a little clarity as to what is going on before the jerk back to reality, I had to admit that this was a truly awesome piece of story telling. I really thought that Remender told so much about Rebecca with this simple scene which made all her actions past, present and future completely understandable. I should also mention how gloriously beautiful this and the Shaman's memory scene from the last issue look as Scalara and White really gave these such an ethereal look that despite it's difference didn't look out of place.


Not Another McKay?!
It's the midpoint of this issue, however, where things seemingly change from the status quo set by the last arc and becomes a lot, I feel, epic in the story telling. This is because during this second half of the issue we are introduced to three things which I think start the ball rolling in making this series something bigger than simply 'Sliders without a budget'. From this point on we not only get glimpses of some weird winged creature, which didn't really register with me on my first read so quick is its appearance, but we are also transported to another world and introduced to yet 'another' Grant McKay. However, neither of these are as game changing in my mind as the official introduction to the Death Cult of Telepathic Millipede, who reveal themselves as wanting to Pillar in order to destroy all life. I feel this is what changes things as, not only do we have Chandra's new persona taking an interest but also this terrifying enemy, sowing serious seeds for a major war in issues to come.

As a result, this brings us to the final two issues of Volume 2, which really feel like a change of direction. The Anarchist League of Scientists, now reunited, prepare for a deadly onslaught as they do all they can to hide the Pillar from the Telepathic Milipedes before the next jump. However, when the realisation comes the Kadir and the Shaman may unwittingly lead to failure, the two decide to take the fight to the cult in order to safeguard the rest of the eververse from the new evil.

Matteo Scalara's artwork is
truly phenomenal!!
Now, as I thought about what I was writing here, it occurred to me that, while issue 10 was a set up issue for the big fight of the final issue, it was also a issue focusing on one rather important character; Blokk. Here we are introduced to two Blokks, the Milipede leader and the Egyptian 'Pharaoh' both of whom come across as immensely similar in their desires. Indeed, while their beliefs are very different (one wants to destroy, the other rule) both desire the Pillar technology to make it happen, both referring to it as the 'Eucalyptus'. Indeed, with the mysterious benefactor from the prime world still to be introduced and a later reference to the Shaman's similarly named brother, it again showed me just how early this tease was being set up along with the notion that certain characters have a specific fate regardless of their reality.

Chandra's dark side revealed.
And then we get into the final issue, which is essentially the most all out fight scene of the entire series so far. This final part of the volume sees Kadir and the Shaman, unable to hide their thoughts and locations like the rest of the League, facing down the horde of Telepathic Millipedes in order to protect the Pillar. Meanwhile, all the McKays of the Eververse converge for their kids and the Phantom/Chandra finally makes it's/her presence known, resulting in (almost) everyone getting what they wanted by the end.

The awesome potential of
The Shaman
This issue has got to be my favourite of the first eleven instalments. Not just because of the action (although, this is identical to the first issue because our heroes are waiting out the clock as dangers approaches with purpose), but because of who is running head first into this action. This issue solidified my love of the Shaman in this series as Remender really gave him this noble, stoic action hero vibe all throughout this chapter which I only enjoyed all the more thanks to his back and forth dialogue with Blokk (and the quote 'Not so hard' was a pitch perfect catchphrase moment). Meanwhile, Kadir just felt all the more heroic to me in this issue, seemingly coming full circle from villain to hero, which I thought was most telling as he and the Shaman discussed their plan.

Of course, nothing seems to go to plan for these characters (as the entire series will allude to as we go) and I find it funny that that Grant McKay seems to be the route cause of this as not one, but two of them (and a Sara McKay to boot) reappear; one of them being part of the couple who tried to take the kids and the other being the Egyptian McKay who might actually be OUR McKay. Even on this second read, I found this a little confusing and intrigued as to why. However, that's for later as the issue ended with Millipede Blokk and Phantom/Chandra each getting a mobile pillar while everyone else ended up jumping with the original.


So, where to next?
As this issue, and indeed this volume, came to an end, I felt that Remender, Scalara and White had seriously altered the entire landscape of the series going forward. Now, there are two seemingly dangerous entities in control of a Pillar device while the Anarchist League of Scientists are composed of characters from multiple universes, all of whom's views and reasons towards this tech they travel on are radically varied.

While I do know what is going to happen next, I think back to the first time of reading this and, like I recall then, have an immense degree of excitement as to what it to come. When I started these five issues I believed that this second arc might have been the quieter, less enjoyable arc of the series. However, thinking back, it wasn't worse, it was different and was seriously needed in order to make all that is yet to come read as fantastically as I recall.

And so with that, I'm going to move on. Move on to the exciting epic tale this has become. Move on to a new world with (most likely) new threats. Move on to Volume 3 - Vanishing Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment