Sunday 4 August 2019

July 2019's Pull List: Lazarus Risen #2

I'm taking a break from my ongoing Black Science ramble for a couple of weeks. The reason for this is because I'm going on holiday and probably won't have the time to analyse the next arc like I normally do. Also, I've got to discuss all the comics I reviewed for Pipedream comics as well as my own Pull List comics.

Well, the Comic Reviews for July will be next week. This week it's the Pull List (split in two halves).

Now, if the last few pull list specific posts are anything to go by, my pull list is pretty thread bare of late. This is due to both a lack of funds to pick up more singles as well as my limited free time being used to review for Pipedream comics as well as real life responsibilities. It also isn't helped by a gradual conversion to trades.



Lazarus Risen #2. Image
from Comixology
However, this month I do get a larger number as not only did Fantastic Four release it's 12th issue but the second instalment of Lazarus Risen finally came out!!

So, Lazarus Risen #2, which goes first because it was released a week ahead of FF, returns to where Greg Rucka and Michael Lark left off, with Forever facing off against two Lazari, one of whom her 'ex-boyfriend' (in apotrophes because of the incredibly complex and convoluted history of the two characters), on an abandoned oil rig. Meanwhile, at home the rest of the Carlyle's are beginning to Fracture as Bethany feels cut out, Malcolm is feeling useless and Forever 8 attempts an extreme escape from her circumstances.

We are now two issues in and, I've got to admit, I'm getting on board with this new Quarterly format. I mean, it is a shame that I have to wait 3-4 months for each issue but, when all is said and done, it is still everything which makes Lazarus a great series; great art, great characters, intriguing story, solid back matter.

Now, this issue felt a little bit hodge podge to me, with the story almost being two distinct tales stitched together down the middle. The first half was pure fight scene as Forever took on Joacquim and the D'Souza Lazarus. Once again, the is Lark territory and he shows why he is on this title with yet another fantastic fight scene which, to me is only second to that great one that happened at the end of the third story arc. It was also a brutal one as Forever took on Joacquim and you could almost feel the heartbreak as the scene drew to a close.

Meanwhile, the second half felt more like a completely different issue which, I've just realised, makes sense given that this series' issues a more than twice the size of the old monthly singles. In the story though, it was a case that the focus shifted away from Forever to her ensemble as we see the originally unified Carlyle clan begin to crumble a little. I have to admit, while there was a lot of characters being focused on and, as such, they each got a limited time, only Malcolm and Eight were the arcs which really intrigued me. As such I really hope we see more of both their arcs as I'd like to know how Malcolm is doing in his 'retirement' and just what's going on with his wife. Meanwhile, eight's actions make perfect sense in light of the last issue and wonder if/hope this will only get worse and how it will all play out.

As for the extras, while this short story from Adam Christopher wasn't as good to me as the last issues, I still really enjoyed it and am loving getting a look at these other aspects of the Lazarus world. Meanwhile, while the game info was interesting (and does make me want to play it) and the letters were cool, it was Greg Rucka's own input at the end which really got me thinking.

Now I'm not gonna say that this issue hooked me because, having been on since the beginning, it's fair to say I'm not going anywhere. However, while it wasn't my absolute favourite of the issue, it was still a damn good read and one more stone on the path to the end, which kind of feels like it could be visible in the distance now, so I'm ready for the next issue now.

Of course, that's a few months away so, for now, onto Fantastic Four #12.

No comments:

Post a Comment