Monday 25 November 2019

Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino

First of all, I want to say that while you may think it is deliberate that I'm posting this just a few days after I had a review go up on Pipedream Comics for a new Jeff Lemire title, I assure you it was all a remarkable coincidence.

Green Arrow: The Deluxe
Edition by Jeff Lemire and
Andrea Sorrentino
In the last few years, I've started to develop a wishlist of comics which, based on the opinions of comic folk who I respect, are to be considered 'high quality.' Now, as of the time this post dropped, this list is pretty extensive (nearly 500 titles at time of writing) and makes for a pretty confident assumption that I'll never read them all.

This is lead even more credence when you know that my unread pile is actually pretty big itself (although not 500 comics), with some really big comic runs such as Rucka's Wonder Woman and Coates' Black Panther (as well as the Liss/Francavilla Black Panther and the Rucka/Scott Black Magick, although both of these were converted from physical to digital) still sitting on the proverbial night stand.

Couple that with all the review material I have and it takes time to get to something of my own.

I love this panel. It just
screams Aja's Hawkeye to me.
However, just recently I decided that I would take a break from reviewing and try a title which I had been neglecting for far too long.

The Green Arrow run by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino is a title I've had in my 'to be read' pile since August 2018. This has been a run which I have continually heard great things about (such as how it was one of the few bright spots of the New 52) and, so, once it came on sale on Comixology I figured that there was no time like the present. However, it is something of a victim of its own quality as, due to its over 400 pages of content, it is quite a daunting, time consuming prospect and not something which can effectively lobby for my rather precious time in comparison to a smaller, 6 issue (180 ish page) trade or even a single instalment.

However, waiting was no longer something I wanted to do and, after reading it, I'm so glad I didn't any more.

Count Vertigo is a bad ass!
Lemire and Sorrentino's Green Arrow focuses on everybody's favourite Billionaire, Philanthropist, Playboy with a Robin Hood complex as he continues to fight crime/the little guy(? In truth, I've never quite understood GA's shtick. Sometimes he's said to be a Social Justice Warrior-esue character and others he's Batman-lite) in the mean streets of Seattle. However, when a new enemy with an old grudge rolls into town, Oliver Queen finds himself stripped of everything and everyone he knew as he is drawn into a centuries old war which may have something to do with not only his own Father but also the reasons behind his becoming Green Arrow.

(I feel that was pretty good. If anyone needs a synopsis writer, do get in touch ;-) )

Sorrentino's work is really the key to
this run. This 'weakness point' panel is
breathtaking!!
Now, I'll be honest, besides the TV series (which IS Batman-lite), I have very little exposure to the Green Arrow. An appearance in Identity Crisis taking on Deathstroke and a copy of Quiver (I think) which I ended up not reading and selling on are about as much of the comic character as I have come across in fifteen plus years. Also, my experience with both Lemire and Sorrentino at this point had been severely minimal. Therefore, as I finally cracked open this (metaphorical) book, I did wonder if this run was really going to be as good as everyone said it was.

Fortunately, though, I absolutely loved this run of Green Arrow and devoured it like the addict I am with every spare moment life afforded me. From the moment I started it all the way until the end it felt like I was reading a story which was a cross between the Brubaker and Diggle runs of Daredevil (before the mess which was Shadowland) and Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist, with visuals which looked a lot like they had been pulled from Aja's (who was also on Immortal Iron Fist) Hawkeye run (which, of course, Fraction wrote. Lots of connections here!).

Sorrentino goes above and beyond,
Creating some unique looks for things
like Vertigo's power set.
As I've just said, my experience with Ollie Queen in comics, is nearly non-existent. However, I've just remembered how I struggled through J. T. Krul's Brightest Day Green Arrow. Based on that, and the fact Krul continued on GA after flash point for the first arc, I be tempted to guess that the New 52 run prior to Lemire and Sorrentino's involvement wasn't the best (although, I can't prove that). However, from the beginsight of this omnibus, it really feels like Lemire is deconstructing the character and getting rid of everything that isn't needed. For me, this is a brilliant decision as I mmediately feel caught up and not having to look at those prior arcs.

I'm really just gushing about
Sorrentino's work now!
In fact, by the end of the entire run, I felt it was entirely conceivable that this omnibus could be treated as an Elseworld's tale more than a part of something bigger, akin to Batman Arkham Asylum. This is because, the character effectively returns to where he started and it's only through the journey that anything really happens as Ollie questions himself and makes himself stronger. The thing is, in a world where characters don't die and rarely change, I think these kinds of stories make the best kind.

And so, this run saw Ollie face off against six (well, three. Three were good guys) clans based on different weapons; Sword, Axe, Spear, Shield, Fist,  and, naturally Arrow. I really loved this idea because, while I have to admit it struck me as very similar to the seven capital cities of heaven story from the immortal iron fist, I'm a little real sucker for tales that imply their hero's greater destiny in the world and that's what we got here. Meanwhile, I will point out that Magus, who is the head of the mysterious eighth clan (which I initially thought might be the trident, connecting Atlants and Aquaman) reminds me a lot of Master Ido (I think that's his name) from the Daredevil run I mentioned.

I mean, seriously!!
However, this 'mystical' (for want of a better word) element isn't the only thing I love about this omnibus as, from beginning to end, I was fully engrossed by this story. Lemire did a tremendous job creating great characters to fill this world, repurposing old villains into new formats which work, and making something believable out of some of the he madness which we see happen to the emerald archer. If there is one problem I have anywhere at all, it is the introduction of Diggle which seems like pandering (and pointless now it looks like Diggle in the to show is actually John Stewart. However, he still serves a good purpose and so even that problem isn't really a problem.

Ok, action scenes within the sound
effect text. Just wow!!!
But then there is Sorrentino's art, which I love throughout this title as I continuously floors me. I said earlier how it reminds me of Hawkeye and this is true. However, I honestly think this work outclasses Aja's Hawkeye work and that's no mean feat. The full page shot of Green Arrow and his opponent falling down the side of a building, the scenes involving the use of Count Vertigo's powers, the shots juxtapositioned with targets to imply the sharp shooting of practically every character in this story, even the scenes of Richard Dragon sizing his opponents up, every shot is a feast for the eyes.

In fact, the only downside was that it had to end. This really was a fantastic read and I'm kicking myself that I didn't check it out sooner, although they do say better late than never. However, reading makes want to check out Gideon Falls, Descender, Sweet Tooth and as many other works by these two creators (including revisiting Black Hammer) as soon as possible.

Because, if I waited too long with Green Arrow, imagine how many other pure gold series I'm missing out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment