Wednesday 5 August 2020

Rebecca: Tales of Resonant

This week so far feels incredibly long, despite it currently being early Thursday morning as I write this, I could have sworn we had already reached the weekend.

So far I've found my job has consumed my life for three days running, to the detriment of planning for my upcoming wedding anniversary, and random new thoughts popped into my head for an old story idea, making me inspired. All adding to a very long week so far

Likewise, while I'd planned to talk about two or three comics on this post for Monday, I actually felt inspired to talk about the first to the extent that I'm up at nearly 3am (while trying to settling an unruly 1 year old) writing this.

Rebecca: Tales of Resonant with a
cover that is remarkably similar in tone
and style to the series proper.
So yesterday (as of when I wrote this) I read Rebecca: Tales of Resonant, a fan-fiction tale by Joe Donahue and J. Schiek set within the fantastic Vault Comics series, Resonant (a review of the first issue I did previously for Pipedream comics if you go check my Pipedream page). The story followed Rebecca as she attempts to escape what is, apparently, a very scary and seemingly dangerous man. However, as she makes her escape into the Chirper infested wilderness, Rebecca's thoughts seem to turn from escape to vengeance as the game of cat and mouse she is playing seems to change when their respective positions of predator and prey take a drastic change that.

Being a fan of this series proper (well, the first issue anyway. I've yet to pick up the rest), I have to confess that this homage to DB Andry and company's original series piqued my interest from the moment that I heard about it. Not least thanks to the similarly designed cover. However, I've got to admit that even I was surprised by how good this story actually is.

While the world that it is set in is one which I consider to be full of some serious intrigue, this tale actually adds additional layers without seemingly planning to. With the story itself, I'm not sure it's connection to Resonant improves it any. Donohue really produces a tightly paced, chillingly addictive plot in it's own right, one that is simple but highly effective. In fact, I feel that Rebecca is like the is the Cloverfield Lane of comics, a magnificent comic which takes another's name when it maybe doesn't need to. That said, I'm glad that it does for it deepens the Resonant world and leaves me with questions about Rebecca sudden change and if the Waves from the main series are a factor or if it's something more societal.

As for the art, while it took me a moment, I do absolutely love J. Schiek's style as its gorgeous gives it a nice subtle connection to Resonant while still making it look unique. What I really adore is the colouring, especially the use of red and blue tones as the story unfolds. As I read this, I did wonder if Donahue and Schiek were trying to subtly imply some change of position within the characters dynamic. This is because as her pursuer's panels got cooler, Rebecca's panels looked redder, which went well with her more aggressive monologuing. I also really loved the panel where Rebecca hides under a truck (a truly awesome page in my opinion).

I wont lie when I say that this story is still missing something, such as a better explanation as to the relationship between characters (are they 'together'? Is she his hostage? Either of these add a different context), but those is merely icing on a very tasty cake. I absolutely adored this story and not only hope it makes it into the second volume as a special backup (DB Andry already said he considers it canon) but I would love to see further installments like this from these creators.

Anyway, the youngest seems to have settled and I have no thoughts left so I'm gonna call it a night. Hopefully normal service (or what was planned) will resume on Monday.

But if I get inspiration and time like this again, I sure hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment