Tuesday 29 September 2020

The Addict-ion List

When I'm not reading comics (or writing about them), I can usually be found watching YouTube videos. One of my favourite channels has got to be Patrick H Willems, a film analyst who dissects films, genres and filmographies in a tremendously entertaining fashion (at least from my point of view). 

Now, one of the things which has been brought up a few times in these videos is 'the Criterion Collection'. The Criterion Collection, as far as I understand, is an American home video distribution company which focuses on licensing "important classic and contemporary films" and restoring, formatting and selling them to film fans through the world. Now, this is a little more removed from what I thought it was (a literal 'collection' of the greatest film in cinema history) but it still bares some similarity to that train of thought (because of the whole "important classic and contemporary films" part) and so it got me to thinking 'is there actually a list of the greatest/must read comics out there?'

Now, I'm going to admit straight that there must be. This is because a medium that has nearly a century of history must have had somebody or many some somebodies compile such a list. Unfortunately, if this list does exist then I have yet to be able to find it (although i will confess my Google skills are not exactly 'expert') and I believe that is a bit of a crime. There are so many absolutely tremendous comics out there and many of them often fall by the wayside because no one knows about them.

Therefore, because I'm 'that' egotistical (ok, I'm not. Really), I've decided to create the addict-ion list. Unfortunately, it is not the best name (but it works because I'm an addict and they are, hopefully, addictive titles) but it is, put simply, a list of comic series/titles which 'I' (just me, not some committee or group of experts, little old, boring me) believe are some of the most amazing, incredible and spectacular comics that I have ever read, and that people most definitely should have a look at.

Of course, I've decided on a rule which gets a comic into 'my' list and that is, quite simply that the comic has to be 'promoted' to a physical copy in my actual collection.

Allow me to explain. I buy a lot of comics (well,not as many as some but I digress) and, due to the waning space in my home (as I've mentioned previously), a large proportion of my collection is digital, either through Comixology or as pdf files. However, on a very rare occasion, there is a digital comic I read which is so good and I enjoy so much that I will happily double dip and purchase a physical copy. This is the promotion I speak of and this is what, in my opinion, allows a comic the right to be on my list of among the best I've read.

Of course, this isn't a foolproof system as what about comics I already owned physically? Well, for those I would probably need to re-read to confirm but, really, anything that has survived my many callings so far certainly deserves consideration.

So, after all of that, what is the opening entry to my new project? Well, to be honest, that is quite an easy decision because first up on this list is Benjamin Read and Chris Wildgoose's Porcelain Trilogy from Improper Books. This is because I reviewed Porcelain when it hit the Pipedream desk, along with its sequels Bone China and Ivory Tower, and I absolutely adored each one of them, to the point that i still gush over them today.

As a result, I knew that if ever encountered either creator at a convention then I would need to pick up a print copy of each one. Fortunately, this was something which happened at True Believers 2017 and now I have a signed copy of each volume on my shelves (or maybe in my longbox. It's been quite a shift around in my house).

So, there you have it, my little ongoing project. The idea of 'the Addict-ion List' is pretty simple; to have a list (because I enjoy lists) of the absolute best comics I have read that I think everyone should read. Of course, I could always keep such a list in my head but A. I needed something to talk about while I'm only halfway through Black Panther: Man without Fear and B. Keeping such a list in my head isn't so easy as I move into my late thirties (and the amount of info in my head had already exceed storage limits I think).

Hopefully, it'll be a nice long list, but not over filled with every little thing.
 
Oh, and before I forget ...

I recently read Quarantine, which I reviewed for Pipedream Comics and saw Jordan Thomas bring together an army of artists to create a double sized story about a family in Quarantine (aptly enough). Now, with this comic, I thought this was a fantastic read. as the review specifies (and goes into more detail) I found this incredibly engrossing from start to finish and just a little bit unsettling as much of the early story felt like it had a ring of truth to it from my own life (and probably everyone else's I should imagine). Nonetheless, Quarantine's story kept me very well engaged, always having me needing to turn over to the next page.


As for the art, I have used the banned word 'consistency' (but it's only in passing) but, despite no pages looking alike, every page looks knock out gorgeous and I thought actually gives the issue as a whole a similar (or dare I say 'consistent') vibe.

All in all, this was an amazing read and it's one that I think everyone should have a chance to look at.


So, that's this week sorted. In truth, I didn't really explain what's been going on. Well, I've read the first six issues of the Liss/Francavilla Black Panther run and, so far, it's as good as I remember it. All being well, next week I'll talk about that but in the meantime I have the rest of that run to read as well as a couple of review comics and maybe some work on my own projects (if in lucky).

Because it always pays to be busy (or so they tell me).

No comments:

Post a Comment