Thursday 6 January 2022

#432 - Domino: Killer Instinct

My first week into 2022 has been ... 'busy' to say the least.

For the first time in what feels like a long time, I've managed to read an absolute abundance of comic books thanks to all of the time off (although I have worked a couple of days too) that Christmas and then the New Year has afforded me here in the UK (God bless Bank Holidays), allowing me to cram in enough issues of various series. Some New, Some Old and some follow ups of things I've reviewed before.

My main read of the week was Domino: Killer Instinct, one of the many trades I acquired from Jolly old St Nick, which sees artists David Baldeón and Michael Shelfer, colourist Jesus Aburtov and writer Gail Simone tell a new story about Marvel's premiere Mutant Soldier of Fortune (or so the back blurb implies). This trade follows the ever lucky Domino as she and her posse, the Mutant Outlaw (who I've never heard until now) and the sometimes villain Diamondback (who I've heard of but never actually read a story involving. Was she in Sam Wilson: Captain America?), find themselves the target of an attack from a vengeful new enemy in the middle of a job, with Domino being their specific target. As she finds herself more and more under siege and her luck starting to run out, Domino finds herself reconnecting with her painful origins and attempting to discover more about herself as she attempts to win the game after being dealt an unusually bad hand.

Probably not my best recap, I'll admit.

Now, despite the fact that Gail Simone is a terrific and well respected writer who must be bordering on 'Legendary' status, it shames me that I've read very few of her works. In fact, the only one before this was the Brightest Day Tie-in series of Birds of Prey (which contained the core team plus Hawk and Dove). However, I'd heard/read/been told that this was a good series and, with its appearance on a Zaavi deal a few months back, it seemed like a good choice to pick up (and then subsequently pass to my wife so she could give it to me for Christmas. Convoluted I know).

Sadly, as I read through the series, I found myself struggling to get invested in it properly, with the read feeling very up and down as I progressed.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that it was a bad read, simply that it was ... interesting. Domino's story had a lot of good ideas and concepts wrapped into that really had me invested. What I liked most about this story was the connection that Domino had to her villain/s. I enjoyed that they had this deep connection to them and I did wonder to myself if Simone was trying to implement a sort of Quasi-toxic/abusive relationship between Desmond (the main bad guy) and Domino in that her suffering was as a result of all the pain he had experienced which he placed the blame solely on our heroine's shoulders. There also seemed like this sense of violation towards Domino thanks to Topaz's (the other bad guy) powers, which were an interesting idea. The two combined really made me feel that Domino was on a journey of recovery and almost empowerment as she attempt to overcome both her physical and emotional assault from these villains.

Also, I had to wonder if Topaz's anger stemmed from the notion that her connection to Desmond was never going to be like Domino's. Like a lover who was always feeling in second place.

Anyway, beyond the ideas beneath the skin, there were aspects of the story I also enjoyed. The Domino/Shang-Chi dynamic was a fun little setup, and the relationship between the book's core three of Domino, Outlaw and Diamondback was a really great and enjoyable relationship, something that reminded me of Black Canary, Lady Blackhawk and Huntress' dynamic (in that comparative order) from Birds of Prey.

That said, there were just as many things that I didn't gone with, the main thing being Domino's power set. I've always understood that her Mutant power relates around good luck but I really struggled to grasp the idea of how she could possibly treat as a skill rather than a reflex (or similar word). Otherwise, my main issue was the idea of a rat that ran through the trade which, upon being revealed, the culprit was just as quickly pushed aside and swept under the carpet.

As for the art, I really enjoyed it overall, especially Jesus Aburtov's colours which reminded me of the current Fantastic Four runs issues which were drawn by Izaakse, Medina and Silva (which makes sense because he was the colourist on the Medina work). The pencils were equally as beautiful by David Baldeón and Michael Shelfer, in particular the scenes of Domino out on the town or falling out of a window (in a true display of bad luck). However, the one downside here was that I felt all of Domino's exes looked a little caveman-esque.

As I said at the beginning of this .... rant, I guess, this story was an interesting one. As I went through it I really felt there was so much about it that was good. On the other hand, I also found it a little laborious at times to get through, which indeed solidified that 'peaks and troughs' thinking towards. That said, I won't lie and say that this wasn't my thing and was indeed glad to have read it. However, I'm not sure that I would actively seek out the second volume due to the complete story it told and I'm unsure if I would read a second time (although maybe I would to just confirm where my head's at with it).

After Domino, my week consisted primarily of small press comics, starting with Henchman Vol. 1, a super villain-esque book from Greg Smith, Sal Donaire, Maksim 'Keeper' Strelkov and Olga Timofeeva which was my first full review of the year for Pipedream Comics. Now I won't lie, when I sat down to reading this trade, I actually wasn't expecting much from based on the first look. However, to my surprise, Henchman turned out to be a really fun, action packed and entertaining comic which had some great (if generic characters who don't take themselves too seriously.

I also thought the art was solid, if a little non-standoutish, reminding me of a particular style which I just could place (the best which sprung to mind was Jay Martin's ALV). Overall, while it might not win any awards for seriousness, I honestly thought this was a good read and a nice way to pass the time. I look forward to volume 2 when it shows up.

This was followed up with an Andrew Clemson double bill of Damsel from D.I.S.T.R.E.S.S. #2 and 3 followed immediately by Bete Noir #2 and 3, both of which I wrote a round-up about of Pipedream Comics on the back of these reads. Now while I, as always, really went in depth into my thoughts on both comics in the review, I will admit that that I really enjoyed both set of issues I read.

For Damsel from D.I.S.T.R.E.S.S. (by Clemson as well as Maruricio Mora and Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou), these two follow up issues really improved on what was given in the first, with yet more action, charm and fun about it. I really enjoyed the almost campy James Bond-ness to the concept as well as the richness of the world and even the introduction of a new supporting character. The art was still gorgeous to look at (even if some bits were a little ... off) and, by the end, I found myself looking forward to future issues rather enthusiastically.

The same is said for Bete Noir (by Kris Wantowhy, Hde and Clemson), although maybe not as enthusiastically, as the newest two issues built up a very intriguing story after the first issue, although struggled with a few more problems overall. The problems I had with this series stemmed from the fact that it ended up so much information within but not always the right sort, which lead me to a little bit of confusion. That said, the mystery that the story centres on certainly became very compelling to me, despite any confusion, as it started to show a darker side to superheroes that reminded me of some reasonable recent comic series, with an art style to match nicely. That said, while the thriller side of it had me more engaged, the confusing notion struggled to shake me and so, while I want to see more, Damsel would certainly be my first stop of the two.

Then I returned to a new favourite of mine when I read the print copy of Cuddles: The Last Chance Crime Story which I received for Christmas after loving the digital copy (and cementing its place on my recommended reading list). Again, this is a comic (by Marco Perugini, Shan Bennion and Jed MacPherson), which I have reviewed much more in depth elsewhere but, I must confess, there was something of an enhanced beauty to it which I thought came from reading it physically. Beyond that, I thought that it was just as sublime as the first time I read through Cuddles and am still confident as on that occasion that I will be reading it for many more times to come.

Finally, I read Leap M, a one-shot from Matt Battaglia, Lettersquids and Doug Wood who recently released their Kickstarter rewards for the this issue which was originally under the Action Lab publisher (and all of that mess). Once again, I reviewed this for Pipedream Comics and the bulk of my thinking can be found there, but the long and short of it is basically that I found to Leap M to be an enjoyable and rather contemplative comic which gave a very interesting focus into characters suffering from mental health issues.

It wasn't by any means a perfect comic as the plot was missing some things (like who was the victim? Was there a reason he was chosen? and Why didn't the police find the real killer as quickly as Wilbur?) and the artwork was a unique style that in some places didn't resonate with me, while in others it worked really well. However, by the end, it was a good read and I'm certainly glad that I got the chance to read it and I'm glad the creative team were were able to free themselves from under Action Lab's boot.

And that's been my week! ...

... well, almost.

I've also tried to make some inroads regarding my plans for 2022 in regards to making my own comic. Unfortunately, straight off the bat it has all come a little undone. However, I've been reminded that I should keep trying and so, while it'll be slightly delayed in regards to when I wanted to get started, hopefully I can right the ship or get the train back on the track (whichever analogy works for you).

Now I'm done. I've already gotten next week's comic picked out in Superman Red and Blue as well as plans for the review comic, so I'm feeling prepared but, for the first week of 2022, this has been a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment