Friday 6 May 2022

#460 - The Eddie Valentine of Comics (We Only Kill Each Other)

So, this past week has been a little reading heavy (maybe not my recent holiday reading levels, but still) thanks to the bank holiday weekend.

After burning through this year's May the 4th entry, I found myself wondering what to read next.

I say wondering although, in reality, I knew exactly what I was going to read.

We only Kill Each Other is a political crime series from Comixlogy Originals created by Stephanie Phillips, Peter Krause, Ellie Wright and Troy Peteri. It tells the story of Jonas Kaminisky and Levi Solomon, two opposing Jewish gangsters who are offered a deal to lose their criminal records after they are caught by the police. However, in order to walk away with a clean slate, the pair must agree to take the fight they usually reserve for each other and point it in the direction of the American arm of the Nazi Party, which continues to gain traction and support within New York City and pose a threat to its Jewish community.

My acquirement of this series was more down to bad luck than choice as, while looking at the new-look Comixology, a mistake in the buttons I pressed resulted in my purchasing it before I was ready (given that I was going to wait until I'd read more of my backlog). However, unlike many comics on my wish list, We Only Kill Each Other's purchase was less of nuisance than I might have implied because, quite simply, I've been looking forward to this title since the creative team of Phillips, Krause and Wright was announced and teased oh so long ago (I'm inclined to say nine months ago).

Fortunately, We Only Kill Each Other did not let me down. Despite a slow start where I got confused  regarding about who and when the initial pages were taking place, I found Stephanie Phillip's story to be a tremendously engaging read. This series reminded me of the Mafia video games (which makes sense as I'm currently playing the first one), with the second of those games coming out of the pages to me, thanks mostly to the  confrontational banter between Jonas and Sol. I think the thing about this series which I found so intriguing was how built off of real life it felt. Around the time this was based, there was a real plan to have gangster fight Nazi sympathisers and saboteurs at home but, as I came to the end, I found myself wondering if this was real, precursor story to those events or a work of fiction based on the notion (not that it being one or the other would've changed my opinion on it.

As for the art, I really loved what Peter Krause did back on Irredeemable with Mark Waid way back when and it was his place in this creative team which I think fully sold me on reading it. And just like with We Only Kill Each Other as a whole, I don't think that Mr Krause let me down here and he once again provided some gorgeous, clean and vibrant pencils in panels which gave off a very visceral vibe to it. In truth though, I think this visceral look was helped made so thanks to Ellie Wright's colours. These also, when combined with the pencils, gave the story a very dirty, smoky look, almost like the early scenes in the movie, Once Upon a Time in America (the most brutal gangster movie I've ever seen).

In short, I really enjoyed reading We only Kill Each Other. I thought that it was a good read with some great, fitting art and it all left me kind of hoping that these Eddie Valentine's of comics (check out the Rocketeer if you don't get the reference) come back for a second series.

It might have been a mistake or an accident to have bought this series when I did, but I think it's certainly turned out to be one of those lucky ones.

Oh, and before I forget ...

While I spent the week reading We Only Kill Each Other and Darth Maul before it, I also saw a recent review go up over at Pipedream Comics.

Quests Aside #1 is a medieval comedy/action comics created by Brian Schirmer, Elena Gogou, Rebecca Nalty and Andworld Designs, coming out of Vault Comics. It tells the story of a Cheers like tavern in a time of Dungeons, Dragons and adventuring knights, as its rather eclectic staff learn of a revelation which threatens to destroy their workplace and work family which they created within.

Now, just like I've said in the review, this comic was an interesting read. In the vein of Cheers and It's always Sunny in Philadelphia, I really felt that Quest's Aside had this very similar tone to Richard Carrington's Mahoney's (only less Supervillains and more giants and mages). However, I really thought it struggled to truly define itself in the issue, being nothing much more than a setup for the overall series.

As for the art, there is little I can elaborate beyond what I've already said. I thought it was solid work, if a little standard. That said, I did enjoy the Scott Pilgrim-esque music battle which occurs, along with a storage cupboard shot which feels like it was ripped from Doctor Strange or Zatanna.

By the end, I liked this comic and am intrigued as to where it will lead. However, I'd probably be inclined to wait until the trade rather than commit to all of the issues right now.

And so, that's been my week in a nutshell. (well apart from burning through the Moon Knight finale. That series has been so great). Next week I'm hoping to read an actual comic off of my shelf, although what is still up for debate.

However, I'm now pondering on a classic in honour of a legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment