Tuesday 20 December 2022

DCeased

The last week or so has been a tough week, as I tried to find time to read all of my outstanding comics in a timely fashion.

Christmas prep is the main culprit, which first of all put me behind in my own schedule when I read my November Pull List comics. Then, as a side effect to this, my plan to read one of my new birthday trades was put back a little (aptly assisted by work troubles).

However, despite the delays, I'm finding myself getting back into reading (something I had lost lustre for earlier in 2022) and my next read didn't damage this new found enthusiasm.

Choosing the larger of the two, I checked out Tom Taylor's DCeased, which saw Taylor and a bevy of artists create DC's answer to Marvel Zombies when the DC universe is attacked by a Techno-organic variant of the Anti-Life equation, causing all who look upon it through their electronic devices to lose control and become mindless, rage-filled zombie-like creatures, eager to extinguish life wherever they can find it. Now, as this virus takes a hold of the population of Earth, as well as Heroes and Villains alike, the survivors must come together to find a way of either containing this contagion, or escaping it.

I'm a big fan of Tom Taylor's DC work in the past. I loved his turn on the Earth 2 series during the New 52 as well as his work on Injustice (I've yet to read Son of Kal-El, where he (hopefully) has finally written a 'good' Superman). Therefore, the knowledge that he had written this series, coupled with so many recommendations for it throughout time, really had me intrigued about it.

Well, I've read it now and, I've got to admit, if speed at which you read a book is an indicator of it's quality, then DCeased is a truly awesome series. Over the course of the weekend just gone, I've found myself absolutely devouring (pun intended) this 'zombie' comic at every given opportunity. What I loved about it was, in a similar fashion to the Walking Dead, Taylor really ramps things up to eleven, not allowing any character, regardless of fame (or infamy) or obscurity a possibility of safety. Everyone was at risk in this series.

However, unlike TWD and even Marvel Zombies, I think what really helped me connect to this series was the origin of the 'virus', something rarely (if at all) referenced in those other titles. Because of this, it helps give the story a sense of grounding (well, as much as you can get in a superhero/zombie comic). Otherwise, this story feels fast paced (probably why I read it so fast), giving a sense of (legitimate) urgency to circumstances as well as a real brutality as Taylor gives characters some really drawn out deaths and powerful revelations.

Meanwhile, the art throughout the series from Trevor Hairsine, Stefano Gaudiano and the entire art team reminds me of a very Rags Morales look, specifically from the Identity Crisis mini-series. However, while the art here has this look, making it quintessentially DC, there is also something 'off' about it, with every panel after the initial 'infection' looking almost warped in a way. In a sense, it's like I'm looking at a regular DC comic through a cracked or warped window, enhancing the sense of horror and unease.

Now, the story wasn't entirely neat, as it left me with a couple of questions, particularly the beginning (the aspect of this new Anti-Life virus compared to what I remember seeing in Final Crisis) as well as the finale.

However, these do little to change the fact that this was a riveting and deeply engrossing story. That said, it was pretty heavy going. I mean, it felt like the '12 Years a Slave' of comics. It was good, but I'm not sure I could read it again due to it's brutality.

In the end though, this was a phenomenal comic series, that I'm glad I was given the chance to read.

Hopefully it doesn't make Scarenthood pale in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment