Friday 20 January 2023

My Pull List: December 2022's comics.

It's been a week of catching up over these past few days as, in the aftermath of a January so far filled exclusively by Die, the comics from my pull list have been languishing to one side.

However, with my Collected Edition of Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans' RPG/Action/Horror comic all read, I've been able to spend my evenings going through those single issues I picked up once December came to a close.


First up, I read Do a Powerbomb #7, the finale of Daniel Warren Johnson's wrestling epic which saw Lona Steelrose and Cobrasun, now crowned the Champions of Necroton's wrestling competition, face off against their final opponent before they are allowed to bring Lona's mother back.

As I went over Christmas, one of the few constants I heard on every podcasts' best of 2022 list was this series and that, I think, is for good reason. Do a Powerbomb has been an amazing read with every issue with this final one being no exception. DaP was once again action packed and brutal in delivering that action (I could feel ever slam and suplex) but continued to deliver every panel, scene and slam with so much emotion as Steel and Sun fought tooth and nail (some of which might've been lost) to claim their prize that it every turn of my page damn near broke my heart. Coupled with DWJ's great writing and tremendous art, as well as the unexpected ending, this final issue really stuck the landing. From this I hope there's a follow up series (which includes seeing the champions carrying they won belts) and I've really gotta check out Murder Falcon.

After that, X-Terminators #4 was my next read, where Leah Williams and Carlos Gomez continue the mad cap adventure of Dazzler, Jubilee, Boom Boom and Wolverine Laura Kinney as they find themselves under capture of Dazzlers Vampiric ex on board the Collectors ship. However, when a crazy plan of escape finds them their way home, the quartet find themselves face to face with a more sinister creature of the night.

While, for me, the series has been getting progressively more entertaining with each passing issue, I did think that this instalment was a lot quieter than the previous few. This was probably down to the fact that it was the penultimate issue, meaning it essentially sets up the finale. However, Williams still brought the cheeky humour to it with some great dialogue while Gomez's art continues to be vibrant and glamourous. The cliff-hanger ending certainly has me intrigued about how it will end, but this series has certainly been a good dose of guilty pleasure and I'd like to read it all as one and see if it reads even better as one giant hit.

Next came, Fantastic Four #2, (which felt like a nice juxtaposition as I went from a couple of series ending to a series that is recently beginning) which saw the new creative team of Ryan North and Iban Coello continue their re-introduction of Marvel's first family with an up close look at Reed and Sue Richards as they have a spot of lunch in a diner. However, this idyllic stop soon becomes a technological nightmare when the locals reveal their prior allegiance to an old adversary.

This new run is now two for two in fun, solid issues with another great read from beginning to end. Starting with the gorgeous Alex Ross cover, this was another Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type of story which focused primarily on Reed and Sue as the idea from the Pepose issues is flipped and Sue is the narrator talking up Reed. That said, it didn't feel like a Reed centric tale as I thought both were on equal footing, like genuine partners and equals (like any marriage should be) Meanwhile, Coello's art continues to remind me of Isaakze, Medina and the bevy of other artists which ended Slott's run with a style that just blew away. In the end, the story had yet another hopeful, positive ending as the FF change lives and it gives me high hopes for the rest of the run and excitement for the next issue.


Finally, I read She-Hulk #9, which continued Jen Walters latest adventures under Rainbow Rowell as things came to a head. Picking up from where the last issue left off, Jen is finally face to face(s) with those who brought Jack of Hearts back and have been on her trail for the past while. Now she must face off these new bad guys but in doing so, will she lose what she has only just gained?

Issue nine was yet another great issue in this run as I get more and more comfortable and in step with Jen Walters newest adventures. This time round it is more action packed than most of the run so far (minus issue 5 maybe) but Rowell nevertheless makes it any less emotional with the Jade Giantess' life seemingly falling apart around her really tugging at my heart strings. I do feel that Rowell's take on She-Hulk feels incredibly contemporary but still manages to weave in some classic tropes with a last minute revelation that (even though I knew happened. Spoilers 'sigh'), I still wasn't completely expecting to be as gut punching (and even guilt laden) as it was. Meanwhile, Takeshi Miyazawa has a fantastic art style which nicely compliments Roge Antonio's work from the first arc, leading to a seamless transition. The more I read this series, the more I'm seeing why so many people rave about it and the more I'm glad that it went beyond the 5 issue mini series. With a final part to this arc still to go, I'm eager to see how things work on this one.


And with that December (and with it, officially 2022) comes to an end. Now onto 2023 and an early start as I already have Fantastic Four #3 at home ready to read.

Just a shame I have to wait until the 25th for the final X-Terminators comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment