So, I'm running a bit late with writing this, as January ended about a week ago. What can I say? I've been busy (two pipedream comics reviews and preparing for True Believers had something to do with it).
January though was a good month for reading comics. Mainly because it was cold out and so I could stay home and read them, but also because a lot of my books really stepped up to the plate and smashed great issues out. I then figured that, as I read so many good ones, I should put together a top five comics from all I read in January. Sadly, as I will only talk about the best five, it kind of sucks for Daredevil and Copperhead, as they just missed out.
5. Batgirl #39 - First up was a real shocker. Batgirl was actually good. Now maybe that is a bit harsh as it implies Batgirl is a bad comic, but for me, prior to this issue, the book was very 'meh'. However, I don't know what it was as nothing seemed to change from previously, but this book suddenly became great for me. It kinda gives me renewed hope going forward (hence why it beat Copperhead to 5th place).
4. Fantastic Four #642 - A part of me was going to give this book a top five spot simply on the fact that the series is ending soon (NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!). However, it got number 4 because it is really, REALLY good. Robinson and Kirk make this book fun, engrossing and make sure it has Bentley 23 kick some ass with a chocolate making gun. THAT is what gets it a top five spot!!!
3. Lazarus #14 - The battle for the number 2 was tough and, this month, Lazarus lost out. That's no slight on Lazarus, just bad luck because Lazarus is freaking awesome!!! Seeing the pieces starting to click for Forever was so great to see, as was her saving her piece of garbage brother. The twist as to what Lazarus she'd have to kill I did not see (I was so sure it would be Joaquim). In my eyes, this book can do no wrong.
2. Alex + Ada #12 - The winner of the number 2 spot, though it was a close run thing. Alex + Ada once again gives me another gorgeously drawn, emotionally heartbreaking installment in a series I don't want to end. I do worry about the next three issues as the creators add yet more subplots into the story so late in the game, but for now this is the book that I will rave about forever. Well maybe except for......
1. Star Wars #1 - Ok, this is not a 'bowing to the mainstream' thing, if that were the case I'd have put Batgirl top. Star Wars achieved the impossible; it went from a book I wasn't even considering to a permanent place on my pull list in one issue. Damn my local comic shop for offering a free cupcake with this book!! But even if it hadn't achieved a miracle (or offered a cupcake) it would still deserve this place because it 'felt' like Star Wars, it was well written, beautiful and, above all, very enjoyable. Jason Aaron is my new god and Star Wars got top spot the second I read it.
That was actually fun to do and with a list that good it does makes me eager for February to get done so I can have a whole new batch of these great books to read and find a top 5 all over again. However, knowing my luck, next month is when they all take a quality related nose dive. Let's think happy thoughts though.