Monday 18 February 2019

Marvel 2-in-1 Vol. 2: Next of Kin

I'm stocking up on my thoughts and rambles of late as I seem to be burning through comics at break-neck pace recently. Therefore, this post is probably been published a good few weeks since I actually wrote it. However, I'm pretty confident that my thoughts then will still be the same for a long while to come.

Last week (which at the time of writing was the end of January), I popped into my LCS to pick up my copy of Star Trek 20/20. As I got there and started scanning the shelves in an effort to torture myself further due to all the comics I can't buy I found myself both shocked and elated to see the second volume of Marvel 2-in-1.

Now, the reason I was shocked was because I hadn't expected the second (and final) trade of this series to arrive for another two weeks. However, rather than stand on ceremony, I immediately picked up a copy along with two second hand trades of Avengers A.I. and the aforementioned Star Trek.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I said I had no money, but both the Star Trek and 2-in-1 were previously budgeted for, while the entire Avengers run cost me a fiver in the end. So quite a bargain).

Marvel 2-in-1 Vol.2: Next of Kin.
The (sadly) final instalment, though this
is a gorgeous cover!!! Image from
Comixology.
Marvel 2-in-1's second volume picks up where the first left off, with the Human Torch and the Thing continuing to adventure across the Multiverse in the hope of finding the rest of the first family. Accompanied by Dr Doom and new character Rachna Koui, the pair find themselves in trouble when they are seemingly abandoned by their travelling companions in a world that's a cross between Mad Max and the time Cable first escaped on with baby Hope (a nice bit of homework to see if you're paying attention ;-) ). To make matter worse, their powers are about ready to give out, meaning they are powerless and unable to go home. And the bad news begins.

At this point I would assume if you know me that you know where I'm going to go with this post. However, in case you still haven't trigged it, here you go! I absolutely LOVED this book!!!

'Insert GIF of Quicksilver from Avengers: Age of Ultron saying "You didn't see that coming?" here.'

In truth, Marvel 2-in-1 volume 2 was a fantastic (pun unintended) read, exceeding the first instalment in my eyes which I didn't think was possible. Again, Zdarsky has infused the entire book with the same sense of 'Fantastic Fourness' that the first trade felt it had, imbuing the story with that Waid/Wieringo feel that I think best shows the FF as they should be (though I should soon know if even that exceeds the Lee/Kirby original as Masterworks is the next read). However, what made this half of the series better than the first, in my opinion, were the tremendous character moments had by the main players. If volume one focused on the Adventure, then I would say volume two focused on the family dynamic.

You see, this arc, beyond the action and the incredible and unusual worlds, is very much about the sense of family and their connection to each other. While I've always loved the FF and every member of that team, my favourite character has always been Reed. However, I felt that Zdarsky, while maintaining the two leads overall personalities, showed me some real hidden depths of both the Human Torch and the Thing (though definitely the former). As a result, this gave me a renewed appreciation and understanding of them both. This is best summed up in the fight between the two which felt so raw and like a true family fight (and I've had a few), that I couldn't help but feel concerned for the future (despite knowing all would be fine).

The same can be said of Dr Doom, whose primary focus of in the 2-in-1 annual continued to show him to me as more and more an intricate character. The final issue too made me wonder about who he is as a person and, in all honesty, made me honestly believe he could easily (and convincingly) transition back from the hero in Invincible Iron Man to the villain in Slott's new Fantastic Four.

Meanwhile, I loved Ramon K. Perez's art, which was really out there compared the first volume but still fit the series and the world well. In fact, the moment where the Fantastic Two's powers returned in all their glory was a real highlight for me (and that's not a spoiler because we all knew they'd return).

I'm not sure what else I can say about this trade by now. I could witter on and do a panel by panel analysis of why I loved this book so much but I really don't have enough lunch left to do that. However, the re-emergence of the Thinker (and some subsequent thoughts that gave me about the character) as well as the full circle, Chekov's Gun-esque return of Rachna's glove from the first volume were further highlights for me.

At this point I'm a little sad and despondent. Not because I read this series or even that I finished writing about. What makes me a little depressed is that it is now over. This was an amazing series (you could say 'Fantastic' but I feel I've used that word enough) and it's kind of heart-breaking to not only see it end, but know that Zdarsky is done writing these characters (for now).

In my opinion, Chip Zdarsky wrote the Fantastic Four right and I do hope that, one day, he gets to do it again.

However, in the meantime, I've still got both trades of this series to look back on in future and I intend to take advantage of that many a time.

But, for now I have new Fantastic Four to read and next up: Fantastic Four Masterworks Vol. 1!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment