Monday 4 February 2019

God Country

At the beginning of 2018, I took it upon myself to make up a substantial wishlist of comic books I wanted/needed to read.

Using the youtube channel of Professor Thorgi, in particular his top 100 comics of the year for 2015, 2016 and 2017, as a starting point and moving on from there, I now have a wishlist of 270 comics strong and still going.

God Country was one of these titles. First being heard in the top 100 of 2017, as I heard the premise and was a title which intrigued me greatly, pushing its way to be a high priority of mine. Well, I did pick it up in the when, as I was picking up Marvel 2-in-1, I found this sitting on my LCS' shelf and thought I'd kill two birds with one shopping trip.

God Country. Just look at this cover!!
Image from Comixology.
God Country tells the story of Emmett, an old man in semi-rural Texas who is suffering at the onslaught of Dementia. Despite the best efforts of his Son, Roy and the strain of his own family ties, Emmett continues to degrade further. However, this all changes when a freak storm hits the nearby town, destroying all in its path. When this storm finally settles, it ends with an unusual, giant sword in Emmett's hands and Emmett having regained his mind as a result. However, Emmett's return to form is not without a price as giving up the Sword will return to as he was, and the previous wielder of the sword will stop at nothing to make that happen and get back what is his.

I think I may have ramped up the 'epicness' of my description of the plot but, in fairness, this could well be justified. I thought God Country was an really enjoyable read as it was deep, epic and fairly poignant throughout. I think this, poignancy that I think I enjoyed the most as, in the end, the story seems more about Fathers and Sons and the thing they tend to do for each other as well as their struggle with their failings.

Now that I think about it, it does make me think of the way things are with my own father and how I'll be with my sons (although that's a story for another time).

Meanwhile, I love the art in God Country. It's different in a sense, although I must confess not in a standout way, but some of the incredible displays of power like the Storm and the Gods home and the battles, are truly breathtaking, as is the 'flashback' of all of Emmett's memories towards the end. Meanwhile, I don't know if it's just me but Emmett (post shave) looks so much like actor Sam Elliott that if they make a film of this, he'd be the obvious choice.

Sadly, it didn't impact as much as some of the other comics I've read recently and nor did it speak to me as much as I was anticipating it to. Maybe I misunderstood what was sold to me and so expected too much of it. I'd want to say that a re-read would make it a better title but after two reads, this is still where my heads at.

That said, it was still a really good book (far better than a lot of other books out there in the world) and I'm glad I gave it the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment