Sunday 14 July 2019

Re-reading .... Black Science: Vol. 4 - Godworld

It's been a couple of weeks since the last instalment of my great Black Science Mega-ramble and there are two reasons for this.
1. I've been busy with real life and offer stuff and, therefore, I was unable to read the next arc until recently.
2. Because, at the time, there was a hiatus of sorts between issue 16 (the end of the last arc) and issue 17 (the beginning of this arc), I thought I would allow some time between those arcs also.

(But it has mostly been because of reason 1).

Black Science #17
Now, in case you are just finding this one first, I've already focused on the first three arcs previously; Volume 1 - How to Fall Forever , Volume 2 - Welcome, Nowhere and Volume 3 - Vanishing Point. These three volumes made up one long storyline, almost in the vein of the story's first act as we saw the dimensionauts attempt to survive the multiple hells they find themselves in, hoping to get home and causing chaos along the way. However, as the series ended (to that point), these characters started to reveal their respective viewpoints and plans just as the Pillar, the device responsible for all that had befallen them, exploded in a flash of light and jumped one last time.

That was three years ago (in the story) and now it is time to see what happened next.

(Oh yeah, they'll be spoilers. Sorry!!)

Black Science's fourth volume is called Godworld and is a Grant McKay centric story as we find the leader of the Anarchist League of Scientists is found to be alone in a strange world save for a long necked floating creature following him around and asking questions. However, in the three years since he, his children and his team were scattered throughout the Eververse, life has not been kind as McKay suffers from a serious case of memory loss and struggles to remember who he is or what he is doing, succeeding in his efforts to leave this world only thanks to the Shaman's A.I. Gauntlet's assistance.
Black Science Vol. 4 - Godworld
#17 - 21
McKay's predicament looks set to change, however, when a lucid dream about his childhood and a vision of a mysterious angel creature sets our forgetful hero on a new adventure to not only retrieve his memories but repair the damage of his fractured psyche with a little help (and some hindrance) from a surprise appearance from his Brother Brian and parents. This, in the end leads to a new outlook on life, a new purpose and a return to some of his past in order to lay his ghosts to rest.

As I've continued through this series, I think that I have said each and every re-read of each successive arc that that specific arc is the best I have read yet. Now this certainly isn't a lie of exaggeration I think, because as Black Science has progressed, I believe that Rick Remender has created tighter and more compelling stories while Matteo Scalara's art has only gotten better with each issue (although I think this must have been incremental because I think Scalara's work has truly awesome since the beginning).

With Godworld, however, I have to confess that I found myself thinking in a form of contradiction because, when I was done here, I considered volume 4 to be both simultaneously the best and worst arc that I have read yet.

Dear old Pa McKay
Confusing huh? I know the feeling, but let me stress that this isn't a reflection on the quality of the work put in. Much like every issue which comes before it (and those which come after), I have found myself truly invested in every panel, every page that has been released. Also, more specifically, Scalara's work has been pitch perfect through each issue, still looking so immensely gorgeous that I feel a broken heart as I realise it's all coming to an end.

However, the contradiction comes in the form of the story because, just like the first time I read through it, I started this read and ended the first couple of issues definitely having never been so confused but yet so captivated in anything I've ever read before (to my recollection anyway).

I recall the problem I had with this the first time round was that the opening story was incredibly ..... metaphysical (because that's the best word I can use to describe). Issue 17 sees McKay suffering with his problems and then, midway through, a terrifying creature who knows him appears followed by his brother. Now, I remember struggling with this because I couldn't grasp my head around what was going on and how Brian had appeared.

Of course, with knowledge comes wisdom (or as the series mentions, something to do with Tomatoes and Fruit Salad) and on the second read through, I was about to realise just what is going on.
McKay's figured out that to move
forward, let it all go.
From this point, around the end of 17/beginning of 18, is where Godworld becomes the best arc of the series so far.

I absolutely love these next two issues as we effectively see nigh on everything which makes Grant McKay what he is and how all he does, says and thinks is built upon one simple aspect; Guilt. For me, reading the destruction of this man's personality from an early age had a real resonance with me (I kind of know the feeling, although I didn't end up in an alternate dimension.... I don't think?) and so, equally, I was absolutely captivated and enthralled to see McKay almost literally climb his way back up and shed all the baggage which had caused him problems.

And THIS is where McKay's hero journey really begins. While I had mentioned previously that was where he was going, I have to confess that it was more a case that he was being pushed rather than jumping. Shaun's shaming, Nate's hoping, McKay was almost doing what was expected of him which, in retrospect, I realise may have been the final nail of his original self. The man who was once the anarchist, who never bowed to anyone, was acting on the wishes of other people.

Here though, the decisions to make a difference, to be who he is and not where others (like his mother) push him into believing he should be that seemingly bring him full circle and back to a more mature version of his primary personality; a person who wants to help people and make a difference. It is here that Grant McKay the hero is born!!

Return of some old friends
And so, from there McKay's memories are restored and he discovers that the final key to his escape, the elusive power source for his machine is his imagination, allowing him to go find his friends. Now, it was here, during this particular read through, where I wondered something; if everything that Grant (effectively) needed was created from his imagination (his brother, the creature whose name I can't remember how to spell, the power source), then could Godworld, the physical world, have also been created from his imagination and his need from such a place?

The reason I think this is because, as the series progresses, all the characters are discovered to have ended up somewhere they want to be. Kadir is with Sara, Rebecca her brother, Pia is a Queen who is adored and Nate is a superhero. Therefore, what Grant needed was a. to be alone (because he thinks he deserves to be) and b. somewhere to fix his f%$£ed-up psyche. Therefore, enter Godworld to come help strip Grant down and then rebuild him back up into something better.

This then gets us to issues 20 and 21, the final two issues of the arc, which feels completely separate from the story tone offered by the opening three but I believe is necessary in a kind of 'putting theory into practice' kind of vibe. This is because, McKay first of all returns to Native American world and to what he feels is his greatest failure in this title; the death of Ward.

A little anecdote: About ten years ago, I worked with a chap who died from a brain tumour. He was (roughly) the same age as me but had a wife and a son (who was born a week after he died).

Where does he get those
wonderful toys??
I divulge this story because issue 20 reminded me of it in a lot of ways as Grant reminisces about a conversation with Ward and comes to realise in the present that he took for granted everything he had that Ward didn't and now couldn't. This was the same for me way back when I wondered why this chap who had everything was taken but someone like me who had nothing comparatively. Now, I think Remender added this to hit home and cement his new outlook; what he has/had some people would kill for and that he needs to fight tooth and nail to keep it.

Which, if that's the case, is a fitting moment for such an epiphany as the long game is never far from sight. This issue offers us not one but two deadly problems which Grant stumbles across which could destroy everything. The first is the return of the Telepathic Millipede Death Cult, which is yet another mistake from Grant's past which I think is used to test his resolve and/or force him back into his more 'pity party' mind-set. The second however, is the revelation of the Pillar's destructive properties. Now this is yet another wrinkle which I think further shows that Remender is always trying to make life harder for his characters.

On that note though, I just have to quickly mention just how awesome I think the character of the Gauntlet, which Grant has named Hal (after 2001: A Space Odyssey I would guess), comes across in this arc. I absolutely love this character's wit and the way he interacts with Grant is just gold, inserting himself perfectly as a great Foil for this rather damaged hero.


Once again, more proof that Scalara
and Dinisio are a fantastic art team!
And then that brings us to the final issue of the arc and yet another blast from the past which kinda shows that, while he's worked hard to be better, he's still the same old Grant McKay. This time Grant jumps to a near identical version of his world and finds that this is Rebecca's stop, where she has integrated herself at the expense of her doppelganger. Now, I again really enjoyed this as we saw from almost the get go that Grant is out for vengeance, although how he ends up getting it I thought was a real gut punch which I didn't see coming. What I think I loved here though was the dichotomy of Rebecca's journey compared to Grant's. In a flashback of their first meeting, comments are made regarding Kadir and I enjoyed how, while they both started in a near same place,  Grant has tried to make himself better but Rebecca has effectively become Kadir.

End of the road for Rebecca?
In the end though, Rebecca's story has ended, although I'd love to have seen an epilogue to that.

But, to be honest, this isn't Rebecca's story, it's Grant and that's still got a way to go. However, with his time on Godworld over, things will no doubt go from strength to strength (which, naturally, it doesn't but we can dare to dream).

As I've written this, I've realised to myself how much short shtick I gave the Godworld arc on my first read through. This fourth volume isn't like any of the preceding three in that it's action is all metaphysical, subconscious and not "real". That said, I think I've enjoyed this arc the most, either so far or in total, because it gave me the best opportunity to connect with it's lead character, a character who feels more like me than I realised (super-intellect and anarchistic tendencies aside).

Now, though, we get to see if this mega self-reflection Grant McKay has gone through will stick, because up next is Volume 5 - True Atonement.

No comments:

Post a Comment