Tuesday 27 October 2020

Engage!! My Star Trek Discovery Season 3 theory.

So, I'm still working my way through Vanguard and, while I had originally said that I was going to talk about the comics I've been reading every week on this blog, I thought it best to just talk about all three volumes of Vanguard in one go.

As a result, I have nothing to talk about for the second week running.

Now, I had planned to just take a break this week but I recently started Star Trek Discovery season 3 on Netflix and, this far, it's good (although it would be better of they just released it in one go). However, two episodes in and I had a theory about this series and where it might go. As a result, and because I have a gap in my schedule, I just thought I'd ramble on about this theory here, even though it is probably one which has already been shared.

(So, I'm going to be talking about every Star Trek Discovery episode released to date. So if you are still catching up, be warned that there are spoilers).

So, my theory goes like this: I think that the 32nd century iteration of the Federation, when it finally appears, will turn out to an organization which is something of a cross between the Terran empire and the America that is revealed in Scott Snyder and Charles Soule's comic series, undiscovered country.

The reason I think this is because, so far during these first two episodes, there has been an abundance of love for the late great, Federation. So far all the characters that we are introduced to, particularly Kal, the alien on the colony world, to the communications expert Sahil on Relay, have bigged up the legend of Starfleet to what feels like an almost godlike proportion. However, while the Federation's reputation very much proceeds it in a good way, all of this rose tinted belief is based on nothing but myth as Starfleet's finest have never really been seen.



Therefore, I genuinely believe that the third series will be this whole 'the Federation was awesome. They will come back and save us' belief from everyone that Discovery meets on its journey. However, as with the revelation of Lorca in series one, I think that (certainly this far) all of the excessive praise that seems to be given is setup for a similar mini-series twist where Discovery will find the Federation but as some xenophobic, dystopian, damaged reflection of its former self.

Now, I don't think this is entirely without precedent as both Discovery and Star Trek Picard have hinted that Starfleet is certainly capable of such thinking. In Discovery, while they were on the brink  of losing a war, Starfleet's senior officers were happy to utilize the Barbaric mirror Georgiou to commit genocide. Meanwhile, in Picard, the fleet's top brass were equally content to let the Romulans die after their star went supernova. Neither example seems fitting of Roddenbery's original vision of the Utopian, enlightenment organisation.

However, going this route of making the Federation out to be this mythic Camelot-like entity to a galaxy who don't know them first hand, only to reveal the opposite is the case feels like the only way to shake up the story. As a result, I also theorize that this would lead into series 4 as Discovery lead a war/revolution against this new, more oppressive regime for the soul of the federation. This too has precedent because (as I was recently reminded) Discovery has always been a series whose characters vehemently believe in the ideals of those they serve.

But this is all conjecture at this point because, only two episodes in, the story could really go anywhere. However, regardless of where everything leads, I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series (to the point that I wish they just released it all in one go).

I just now have extra skin in the game as I get to see just how close my theory is.

No comments:

Post a Comment