Tuesday 3 November 2020

A week off.

I have absolutely nothing to talk about this week!!

I'm now between the second and third volumes of Vanguard and I have a couple of other 'projects' I'm halfway through.

As such, I have nothing really of any substance to ramble on about here (not even some half baked theory about a tv show I'm watching).

Therefore, I was going to ignore this week and have a week of writing nothing here. However, instead of being lazy I figured I'd just put up a short thing about a couple of reviews I had done for Pipedream Comics (as I usually do anyway) just to give that little extra clarity (like I do anyway).

So, first review up in this past week was Commander Rao. Now I have to confess, I wasn't sure what to expect from this, I thought it was an ongoing. However, Now I know it is a one-shot, I'm a little disappointed.

I thought Commander Rao was a really well written, very emotional piece of story-telling. I was absolutely captivated by this as I read it and watched Rao walk through Hell to find absolution in the eyes of herself for seemingly abandoning her friend. I thought it was a real character-examination into the themes of loyalty and friendship.

Meanwhile, the art was absolutely stellar!! I loved the subtle change in style and colour from the future to the past, with the future looking incredibly loud and sci-fi-esque while the past had this old fashioned, drained colour look to it.

Of course, it wasn't perfect, as I thought it was lacking on some info to common sense questions (although they maybe weren't necessary to the story) and the art's action scenes were a little confusing to follow. However, overall, I'd recommend everyone should check out this book at least once.

After that came the review for Gunrunner. Now, this review was a tough one to write because, while the story itself was  really, really good, there was very little I could take away from it to actually write about.

The story is fast paced and, as such, feels extremely edge of the seat from (almost) beginning to end. As a result of this I found it to be really enjoyable to read. It was also almost entirely devoid of problems to the extent that if there was any issue, it was that I thought the opening scene was a little confusing and only after reading the whole story did I feel there was context enough to understand.

Otherwise, the book was fine. Most of the characters felt a little one note but they served their purpose and made Tali a more compelling lead, while the art was solid throughout (apart from maybe one scene early on). I honestly felt that this was a simple, well executed comic; no grandeur, no pomp, just effective, streamlined, enjoyable storytelling.

But, despite my lack of depth in my thoughts of it, I'd still tell anyone who asked that they should read it!!

And that's it!!! Apologies of the shortness of the post this week. All being well, I'll have something more to talk about next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment