Monday 28 June 2021

#402: Fantastic Four: The New Fantastic Four

This is either a late post or an early one depending which week I feel it relates to (and whether I have anything more to talk about in the rest of this week). Regardless of which though, the reason for it being between the two is the same.

I've been having a bit of a bad time of it since the last time I posted anything. A combination of work and home life ended up knocking for six a little bit and, as a result I reached a point where I had completely lost the enthusiasm to read comics. This was evidenced by my attempting to read two Green Arrow omnibus' but finding myself giving up after barely an issue raised.

Fortunately, Matt Garvey seemingly came to my rescue when he suggested that instead of trying to read something new, I simply go back and read something I knew I would enjoy. Luckily (for me), I just happened to have a trade on my Comixology account which I already owned a print copy of (well the single issues) and so I had been putting off while I focus my attention elsewhere.

The New Fantastic Four (as the subtitle states) is the trade containing the middle six issues of Dwayne McDuffie and Paul Pelletier's (in my opinion) awesomely short run on the comic series, containing issues 544 to 550. Taking place just after Civil War (thus receiving the 'Initiative' banner), the series sees Black Panther and Storm join the team while Reed and Sue take a second honeymoon to work on their marriage. However, it is far from a quiet time as the team end up squaring off against two heralds of Galactus while searching for a lost hero and then coming into contact with the Frightful Four while attempting to save a civilisation from Invasion.

After reading this, I must confess, I'm kicking myself for forgetting how great this run was. I really liked Dwayne McDuffie's middle arc on this series (because he took over at the tail end of Civil War) as it just felt like a story full of uncomplicated, fun escapades in the far reaches of the universe from the eyes of a dysfunctional family. So, basically, everything I think best exemplifies the Fantastic Four (and the parts I certainly enjoy).

Of course, it isn't exactly like the FF stories of old as the Black Panther and Storm (back when they were married) tag in to make up the numbers with Mr Fantastic and the Invisible Woman's temporary exit. However, I really thought that these new members really worked well at filling in the gaps on the roster and even offering us something fresh. The Panther in particular was a character I really loved here as he is written as a more direct and forward thinking tactician than Reed while also his fun dynamic with his wife seems to make him much more likeable. It now seems a shame that McDuffie never had a chance to write him in his own title (unless there are issues somewhere that I don't know about).
Now, I make it sound like this book was elevated by the inclusion of Black Panther and Storm and, while they are great additions, this is further from the truth. Much like the King and Queen of Wakanda, I thought that Mr and Mrs Fantastic were also really well depicted, with Reed coming across exactly as I always think of him. However, I found that I really enjoyed the depiction of The Invisible Woman. This is because she seems to go through a bit of an arc. Starting in her stereotypical wife bit as Reed goes about sciencing and becoming the damsel in distress as seen in her early appearances. However, I really thought the arc was almost representative of her overall story as her later scenes with the Frightful made her seem very strong and empowered (and maybe a little malicious).

Unfortunately, I didn't think the last two members of the Four got as good a deal as Johnny seemed to get sidelined and feels like he has nothing to do (barring a recap of the connecting BP story). Meanwhile, though Ben has a little more to do, he feels more like the comic relief, although maybe to a more subtle degree. That said, the Thing and the Human Torch's push to the back was made up by the other four's focus, as well as the appearances of the Silver Surfer (depicted as Post-Annihilation), who felt very on point with my Silver Surfer: Requiem barometer of the character, and ever-fun Frightful Four (I'm a big fan of this team).

Otherwise, there were some other moments in this trade that I enjoyed. This included some of the gags like the using of the Frogs and Storm's hair, which I loved as funny little throwaway gags. Then there was the connection to the Black Panther series proper where Johnny discusses those events with one of the Dora Milaje. Now, even though it is just telling a story, I thought it was a nice way to show the larger universe, especially between two series that are not written by the same writer. Finally, there was the appearance of Hank Pym, which felt like a degree of foreshadowing for Secret Invasion as his dialogue implied a lack of information that the character proper would surely know (at least that's how I read it).

Then there is the art and, much like the book in general, reading this reminds me of how much I love Paul Pelletier's art. It always makes me think of that late 90's house style as well as Wiernigo's work on the book prior to this. In truth this is the reason Paul Pelletier is always a draw for me whenever I see his name on any book because, quite frankly I think is work is gorgeously vibrant. I think this is no better exemplified than with the invisible woman's fight with the Frightful Four which was equal parts brutal and gorgeous. There is also the Covers for this entire arc by (I believe, based on the tag in the images) Michael Turner, which all look fantastic (pardon the pun)!!

By the end I realised that while I've always respected Matt's opinion on things, with this suggestion he most definitely hit the nail on the head. The New Fantastic Four was a fun, colourful and excitingly charming use of my time and while it hasn't refilled the tank in terms of getting my mojo back, has certainly given me enough juice to have me wanting to get going again.

In fact, it makes me VERY tempted to re-read the Beginning of the End, the story which takes place directly after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment