Friday 2 July 2021

#403: Off my Pull List - Green Arrow 80th Anniversary #1 a.k.a Happy Birthday Mr Queen!!

I'll be honest, after posting my last post blog earlier this week, I hadn't planned to write another so soon afterwards. when I stated in that post that it found was either going to be a 'few days late or a few days early', my intention had been for it to be the latter in order to give myself a bit of a breather after the events of the week which had preceded it.

However, I appear to have had my feelings on this matter changed thanks to the birthday celebrations of a certain Emerald Archer.

This past Wednesday, I picked up a copy of Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super-Spectacular #1 from my local comic shop. This jam-packed issue contained 12 stories all about Oliver Queen and his eponymous alter ego, his evolving mission within the borders of Star City/Seattle (depending on the decade) and his extended family from a host of tremendous talent, many of whom have made their own impact on the life of Ollie Queen in his 80 years of superheroing.

Now, based on the subtext that I think came through as I explained what this comic was, the truth is that I absolutely loved this comic. I thought that this 80th Anniversary special was filled to the brim with phenomenal stories which exemplified perfectly what makes Green Arrow such a perfect character.

In fact, I've actually noticed that pretty much all of the stories which resonated with most related to three fundamental concepts: hope, family and stubbornness.
 
For instance, Punching Evil by the Awesome creative powerhouse team of Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott is far and away my favourite. This is because not only does it look incredible thanks to the art (the style of which I recognise from Black Magick) but I think it is a great story that shows off all three of these things: family because of what Ollie is willing to do for those he loves and hope and stubbornness through his belief that he can stop the bad guy (who looks amazing. How have I never heard of the Yellow Wasp) regardless that it might be too late.

The same, I think, can be said about Star City Star, which is drawn by the modern master that is Phil Hester which sees Ollie attacked on all sides by end and friend alike as he rescues a little girl. With this one though, it feels like it's his intricate understanding of those he loves which makes him see the situation for what it really is and hope that he can resolve the issue without needing to kill.

I could probably go on and on about these stories but, suffice to say, I loved so many of them. I loved Who Watches the Watchtower by Stephanie Phillips and ... for its 80's inspired look and story which saw Ollie beat an army with next to nothing. I loved Green Man and Autumn Son and One for the differing relationships Ollie has with his sons Roy and Connor respectively (and yay Lian!!!). I loved Happy Anniversary for showing off the dynamic of Ollie and his 'Pretty Bird' Dinah and I loved Sympathy of the Woods for the sense of family and (especially) Oyto Schmidt's gorgeous art.

Of course, not every story was a winner for me as the Disappearing Bandit, which looked so much like it should be in the Batman 66 universe, was a quiant tale but struggled to fully grab me. Meanwhile, the Arrow and the Song wasn't really my thing as I struggled to follow it (although the art looks fantastic).

That said, I really thought there was vastly more winners than lovers here, capped off by the final story which was a dedication to Denny O'Neil, the legend which gave us the Ollie Queen that we know today. This story, written by Denny's son, gives us an insight into the life of this master and I think beautifully wraps up the issue with a beautiful final scene is meshes perfectly to the theme I saw peppered throughout this special of family.

Suffice to say, I'm really glad that I put aside the extra coin to buy this comic. I think it was truly a terrific read and sold the Green Arrow as a remarkably underrated character, who I now realise is often unfairly compared as the poor man's Batman (when I think a good argument could be made that he is, in fact, better).

After reading this issue, leaving find myself more tempted than I already was to read more Green Arrow, whether it be a re-read of the Lemire/Sorrentino run or something new.

Oh, and before I forget ...

I had a new review go up on the Pipedream Comics site this week for TKO's Scales and Scoundrels Vol. 1. Unfortunately, I had planned to write one for volume 2 as well but the file we were sent just wouldn't download.

However, this didn't affect how much I really enjoyed the first volume, as I thought it was a lot of fun. In fact, almost everything about it had this fun, light hearted feel to it throughout, even when the story took dark turns. I thought this was helped by the intriguing dynamic of the main characters as well the mystery surrounding the main character, Luvander,'s true nature.

The art, meanwhile I've stated as looking like 7String and, while that isn't inaccurate, it vibes a look that I've seen before but just can't place. Still, I honestly think it has this all ages look which just screams fun and upbeat to match the writing.

In the end, I really liked this and truly regret not being able to access the second volume. But at least that gives me something to look forward to.

Then I also got to review the Disasters #1, which is a superhero comic whose second issue is on kickstarter presently. I really liked this read. It was fun, witty, well written and never once lost my interest. The notion of a Restaurant for supervillains that was included also tickled me a lot.

The same is said about the art. I thought It perfectly matched the tone of the writing and I really think its vibrant colours gave it this levity that made it so enjoyable.

In short, the Disasters was another read which I really liked and really want to see more. Sadly, with no money presently, I'll have to do a catch up for the (hopefully) the issue.

And finally ...

While it isn't exactly a new read, I took a bit of time to re-read DC Universe Rebirth #1, which I can't believe is now five years old. Now, I have to admit, I'm impressed by how much of a good read it still holds up to be after all of this time. As I read through it I really felt that it just exuded this real optimism, much like it did when it first came put.

However, I don't think time has allowed it to hold up as well as it was when it was first released. This, I think, is down to the promise that it hinted at not having been delivered in some aspects (Doomsday Clock, from what I understand), although this may be down to higher up course changes presently than anything. Also, it does feel like a bit of a poisoned chalice in light of some creators beliefs and actions since its release.

That said, it is still a good read, although I do wonder if if will ever come back to it again.

Anyway, that's this past week done. In hindsight it certainly feels like a lot, although, in truth it isn't all that much. On the plus side though, I've put a new idea together and have managed to get it both plotted and outlined to a nice 12 page concept. This is very handy given that I've recently decided to give myself the goal of getting 12 pages of story ideas written each month. Hopefully, this good start will allow me to follow through with this goal for July.

In the meantime though, I need to find some new comics to read next week. For a change I don't really have many ideas although I'm thinking I might catch up on my pull list.

Or, after this week, I might read something Green Arrowy.

No comments:

Post a Comment