Friday 9 July 2021

#405 - where does the Artist end and the Letterer begin?

So, at the moment of writing this, it's 2.30 in the morning, I'm struggling to get my youngest child back to sleep and my tablet with my Comixology comics and my glasses are upstairs by my bed.

Suffice to say, I'm bored.

Therefore, I thought I'd write this quick little thing. A query that recently came up in my head as I was re-reading Green Arrow; when it comes to lettering, where does the artist's job end and the letterer's job begin?

Allow me to explain. In truth, i know exactly what both the artist and the letterer do. The artist is responsible for the art, I.e. every person, event and action which occurs within sequential art. It is the artist's job to tell the story by a visual means. Kinda like a cinematographer (although this simplifies the artist's role). The Letterer, meanwhile, is responsible for all the written words within a comic. Every piece of dialogue, every word balloon, box and written thought is their domain. Similar to the subtitle (although, again this massively simplifies their role).

However, what about the words in the background, the dialogue which is embedded within a scene?

Here's my example; During Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's Green Arrow run (in issue 18), Ollie Queen finds himself on the run, accused of murder of his father's best friend (and CEO of his company). As he wanders the streets to ponder his next move, he stops in front of a newsstand to see the headline on the front page of the newspaper read in big font 'Oliver Queen accused of Murder.'

Now, this is where my confusion lies. As a part of the scene, this is surely the domain of the artist, right? However, given that the letterer is responsible for the words contained within a comic, is it not the responsibility of the letterer?

Anyway, this is just what I think about at bordering 3am (has it really been a half hour?). If anyone reads this, feel free to let me know the actual answer because I am truly curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment