Thursday 7 October 2021

#417 - Feeding the creating bug (and the comic book addiction)!

Back when this week started the plan for this blog post had been an awful lot different as I was just going to talk about the comics I had been reading.

However, then something else came to mind.

As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to create comics (cue opening Goodfellas montage and music) and, truth be told, I have given it a small attempt and been jotting away ever since. However, the last few months have been a struggle to find the inspiration as I battle a dip I my mental health.

This past week, however, has seen the creating bug return to me thanks in no small part to the tremendous number of podcasts I've been listening to. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but hearing creators talk about their works and their processes really gets my enthusiasm up for getting back to the ideas I've been working on and pushing them ever forward.

For instance, my Monday listening consisted of the lads at the Awesome Comics Pod interviewing Lord Hurk, Samuel George London and his Comics before the Apocalypse show talking with Jason Lenox and the Oblivion Bar Pod chatting to cosplayer Rhylee Passfield. Then, while being a few weeks old, I listened to the Meanwhile at the Podcast episode where they chatted with Scott Edelman. As a result of all these interviews (as well as David Pepose's recent newsletter, where he mentions more upcoming projects for me to decipher their codenames), I really got thinking on the ideas that were in my head and all of this kickstarted my desire to go back to them.

Of course, as I mentioned at the start, this wasn't my initial plan for this post and I had gotten a fair bit of reading done (all supplied to me through my ever wonderful connection to Pipedream Comics).

Comics I've read this week have been:
  • The Tessellation #1 - A Sci-Fi dimension hopping comic by Mike Phillips and Hernán González which I've reviewed, this concept (as well as the cover) really hooked me from the moment I laid eyes on it. Thankfully, while the story left me with a lot of questions and the art was solid, if not breathtaking, it certainly left me very intrigued about what happens next. I will be coming back to it (although maybe once it becomes a trade). 
  • Band of Warriors #1 - A historical drama from Sam George London and new collaborator Avila Corsini, this was another review I've done. However, the long and short of it is that much like the Tessellation, it did suffer from Expositionitis, although the art is so gorgeous in this one and ends leaving me equally intrigued about what's to come. When I went into this I worried it wouldn't match Sam's strongest work to date (Milford Green) but now my mind has been changed and I'm awaiting the kickstarter that is soon to come.
  • Peace of Mind #1-3 - A Sci-Fi comic which Pipedream had reviewed prior. I got the chance to review the whole thing and I have to say that I absolutely loved it. Callum Fraser crafter a really haunting story that feels almost ripped from current day goings on and Emiliano Correa's artwork matched it with some insanely beautiful eeriness. After reading this, I found myself kicking that I missed out originally but now am really glad I got it now and sure hope there's more to come in the future.
  • We are Scarlet Twilight #1 - Now this is something that had already been reviewed but I still got the chance to check out. A pulp-esque superhero comic from Benjamin Morse, this was a fun read that really resonated the Alec Baldwin Shadow movie with me. I loved the art, which reminded me of Nico Leon's style from a recent FF issue and which gave it a really unnerving look to match the unexpected story. I wasn't sure about this going in, but by the end I'm intrigued to see what happens next, thought I might wait for the trade.
  • Impossible Jones #1 - A comic about a thief turned superheroine from the great Karl Kesel and David Hahn, I have to admit seeing one of my favourite writers on this book hooked me from the start. That said, it was a quiet, if quirky, little issue which imbued this sense of a very silver age/Batman '66 which I thought the art more than matched with a look which made me think of Mike Allred. By the end I was intrigued, although maybe not as much as some of my other reads. Still, I might check out future instalments if I were to get the chance.
  • Shark of War #4 - A fourth instalment of Ben Lacy's action comic which I had gotten to review previously, I continued to be surprised by how fun the concept and execution is as Lacy's shark prepares for the final battle. I have to admit that it is bizarre how much of a enjoyable comic this is given its completely outlandish plot as well as the computer graphic art which is actually perfectly fitting. With the fourth issue Kickstarter underway (I think), I might have to add this to my 'to watch' list.
That's everything I've read this week, although there is always more. In fact, despite the fact I have hundreds upon thousands of comics that I still need to read or can re-read, I just can't help myself but to buy more. For instance, I went down to my Local Comic Shop this week (well Thursday) and picked up a copy of Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary Giant #1 in order to bulk up my collection of Anniversary issues after Green Arrow and Aquaman. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick up the A cover, but I did grab myself the (in my opinion) best of the variants in Jen Bartel's cover, not that the difference in cover will affect what is inside (which I hope to treat myself to reading next week).

Meanwhile, I also found a that Comixology were offering the trade of their series, the Stone King for free. Because I rarely looked a gift horse in the mouth, I decided to pick this up and add it to my ever growing collection of Comixology based comics that I have still to read. Of course, this isn't the only Comixology Originals title which is going for a good deal as practically every other series trade is on sale at (roughly) 86% off. This has left me in something of a dilemma as there are at least nines trades (including Afterlift, Snow Angels and Lost on Planet Earth among others) that I want. However, with so much still to read and with little cash presently, I find myself unsure whether to commit to buying even more comics. But then I REALLY do want to buy them!! I still have until the end of October before the sale is up so I still have time to think about it.

And that's my week in a (rather long) nutshell. A few other things got into my mind, such as the revelation that the Daredevil Cast may be returning in the Echo series that is rumoured to be spinning out of Hawkeye on Disney+. This news has me very excited because I loved the Daredevil series so much. However, it does make me wonder how the series will explain the first three series (or lack of same) of the Man without Fear. A part of me hopes that they are considered Canon and the Fisk was the only character not to be snapped, therefore serving his prison sentence in time to be out for this series.

Then (hopefully) they could move directly into the 'Parts of a Hole' story line during Daredevil where Echo first appeared. Speaking of which, I sure wouldn't mind re-reading that arc so I can get an idea for Echo again ahead of Hawkeye's release.

Wonder Woman, Echo's first appearance, Stone King. Looks like I have a lot of options to read next week.

Not that i had all that few to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment