Friday 29 October 2021

#421 - Batman: The Imposter #1

I hadn't planned to write this post, let alone put it up the day after I normally post my weekly entry. However, I found myself in a place where I'd actually written something almost straight away and so I figured 'what the hell.'

Yesterday, I picked up and read Batman: The Imposter #1, which saw the Dark Knight, into his third year on the job, come crashing back into his therapist's, Dr Leslie Thompkins, life when he is badly injured, leading to an agreement that may be jiat what the doctor ordered. Meanwhile, Detective Blair Wong, investigating the actions of the Batman, finds her investigation taking a major turn when the Gotham vigilante throws three bound men off of a roof, seemingly crossing the line it was thought he'd never cross.

Now, I hadn't intended to pick this comic up but was subsequently sold on it thanks to a podcast I was listening to (First Issue Club? Talking Comics? I sadly can't remember which). After reading it I must confess that, while I wasn't overly wowed by the story, I certainly found it intriguing. I like the notion of Bruce Wayne seeking mental health assistance and the vibe I've gotten from the book has this slow burn detective story which certainly connects with me. I also love the character of Blair Wong and, while she maybe takes away from the main focus, I like how she seems to competently put pieces together in figuring out who the Batman is and how he operates.

If there is one thing I am sold on with this book, it's got to be the art. I fell in love with Andrea Sorrentino's artwork after reading the New 52 Green Arrow run and I didn't feel any less let down here. The look is dark and creepy and really picks up the vibe of the scary Gotham City (in a quiet, unnerving kind of way). One thing I did notice though was how much Bruce Wayne looks like Robert Pattison, which makes me wonder if the Batman will have a big influence on this series (also, is Blair Wong a take on the character Ellen Wong from the Batman cartoon series?).

After reading this first issue I find myself torn between classing this comic as ok or good. However, while it seems too soon to tell, I find myself hooked enough to come back for part two and see how this story all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment