Thursday 4 November 2021

#422 - Green Arrow: Year One

Nearly a year ago, I received a grand total of 24 graphic novels for my birthday. Unfortunately, in that year which has included a lockdown (I think, I can't actually remember if 2021 had any now that I ponder on it), I've still only been able to read two of them, Spencer and Locke and Resonant, and that was back in January.

This week, however, with my kids hogging my android tablet and preventing me from reading any digital comics, I decided to take a risk and pull one of those many graphic novels of the shelves (and hope that they didn't rip apart as destructive children like mine tend to do).

So, I got around to finally reading Andy Diggle and Jock's Green Arrow: Year One, a contemporary (well, as of when it was written) re-imagining of the origin of the Emerald Archer. This story saw billionaire playboy Oliver Queen, having made a fool of himself I front of his peers, make a hasty escape to sea aboard his boat. But when he is betrayed and thrown overboard, Oliver washes ashore of a mysterious island that forces him to not only learn to survive but fight for a village he discovers trapped in the clutches of a dangerous drug lord.

I remember when I was selected this book from a Zaavi deal way back when, it made its way into my choices because of the good things which I had heard about it. This was certainly something which seemed to be true when I found five minutes a few months back and flicked through this book, finding myself highly intrigued by the contents. Fortunately, the things I heard were in no way exaggerated as I found that I really enjoyed this mini series. I thought that Andy Diggle's script and story has such a cinematic feel to it from characterisation to its flow and pacing that I have to wonder if this might have been a film treatment once upon a time (it did come out around the time of those Green Arrow: Supermax film rumours) given how it came across the page.

Indeed, I think this would certainly make sense as the characterisation of Oliver Queen certainly has that kind of rebirth arc that all film plots love. Of course, that isn't to say that I didn't for I certainly enjoyed Ollie's journey from arrogant playboy to dispenser of justice with a longbow. Meanwhile, all of the other characters are perfect for the cliched tropes they depict: Hackett, the traitor turned number 1 goon, China White (in her first appearance it seems) as the merciless drugs lord (or lady) and Taiana as Ollie's exposition/Guardian Angel/Confidante. But again, while this might all seem cliched, it didn't make their use in the tale any less enjoyable.

As for the art, I really felt that Jock's visuals were equally as cinematic as the story, thanks to its panels which feel much more splashed and spread out over the pages in a less structured way than I think I've ever seen before. Jock's pencil have this really sparse look to them in my opinion which are also a little rough in how they're placed on the page, but these look like they are full of energy, giving it a real kinetic vibe. Meanwhile, I thought that David Baron's colours really made Jock's pencils feel very atmospheric with a harsh and bright look with almost every day time island scene, making me feel like I too was with Ollie as the Island's harsh sun bore down on him.

I think I'm starting to ramble a little but, all in all, I really did enjoy reading Green Arrow: Year One. I thought the book gave the character of Ollie Queen an uncomplicated but worthy origin for his alter ego which really kept me engrossed throughout. In fact, by the time I had finished the series, I could only wonder why this book was never the basis for a film on the character (although I certainly see it's DNA within the Arrow TV show through the flashback sequences. Also, I wonder if Hackett was the template for what in the end became Diggle?). Still, moviegoers loss is my gain I guess as I'm glad that I got my hands on a good comic.

So, that's one graphic novel down, just another 21 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment