Friday 12 November 2021

#423 - A Quiet Week.

As the title suggests, this week had been a quiet week for me when it comes to reading comics.

Unlike last week, where I devoted my time to a single six issue story, or even the week before, where I managed to burn through the equivalent of 16 issues from two different series, this week I found myself floundering with enthusiasm for reading. Therefore, while it was not a lesser amount than the smaller of these two prior weeks, it was nonetheless quieter (in my opinion).

The first thing I read was AL15: the Adventure Begins over the weekend, which I was to prepare a review on for Pipedream Comics. I feel ashamed of myself with this comic by Steve De La Mare from Markosia Comics because, from the moment that it fell into my Dropbox, I don't think I gave it much (if any respect). I, for some reason, always thought it wouldn't be a great read and so always let it get passed over for other newer, seemingly more interesting titles.

However, by the time I read it I certainly felt like I had egg on my face because, as the review would suggest, I found AL15 to be a truly engrossing and enjoyable read. While it took a moment for me to get a grip as to what was going on, really quickly I was immersed into a story that felt more akin to a fantasy journey (I repeatedly compared it to Labyrinth) but in a sci-fi setting which made me think of the video game 'The Outer Worlds'. It was truly something else entirely, with creatures and aliens which felt ripped from the Mos Eisley Cantina and concepts I certainly don't think I've ever seen in any sci-fi film/show/comic beforehand.

And then there is the art, which was unlike anything I have ever seen. I remember hearing conversations about the early Doctor Strange material and how it was theorised that the creative team were under the influence. Well, the art here would certainly give me that impression because AL15's visual style seemed so trippy and ... hallucinogenic (for want of a better term) that there certainly could not be a more sound argument as to why this book looks the way it does. Of course, that didn't impede it in my book as, instead, it really added to the epic-ness of the story.

By the end, it was fair to say that I had been re-taught that ever age old rule of never judge a book by its cover. This is because, while the cover or even the title didn't give me anything to go on, the story and interiors were more than enough to blow my initial expectations out of the water. This was a comic I really liked and it makes me wish I had given it the necessary attention much, much sooner.

Anyway, after that I spent most of the week struggling to feel enthused, even when I started reviewing a second graphic novel for the week, I just couldn't find the right mojo to get properly invested.

Fortunately, however, I finally got out of my slump yesterday one the bus home from work when I read the newly released Batman: The Imposter #2. This issue picked up where issue 1 left off as Batman, continued to search for the person responsible for killing criminals in his name while continuing to justify his actions to his therapist, Dr Leslie Thompkins. However, when the Dark Knight finds his attempts to locate the imposter more difficult than he initially imagined, he realises that he needs more eyes and information and decides to gain access to the computers files of both the Gotham P.D. and Weskar Industries, a move than causes him to make a connection he could not have prepared for.

When I had left this series with issue 1, I recall finding myself unsure about where I was going to find myself falling in regards to its quality. However, I have to admit that Batman: The Imposter #2 allayed my fears quite considerably with an issues I really loved. I really thought that Mattson Tomlin's story really picked up the pace in this issue as the more detective aspects of the plot really started to assert themselves. I also enjoyed the idea of the connection which Bruce made with Detective Blair Wong, an idea that made me think of the Thomas Crown affair (because of the therapy sessions and the whole 'sleeping with the enemy' thing), Mask of the Phantasm (because of the romance angle and how it nearly destroyed Batman), and Year One (the whole rivalry and being on the run thing). In fact, there was a lot I liked about this issue, including the questions it left in my head such as who the imposter is (I was starting to cycle through who it could be by the end) and what's the imposter's connection to Weskar Industries (because there has got to be one. Also, nice cameo!!).

Once again though, the thing I loved most in this issue (only just) was the art as, once again, Andrea Sorrentino's work is just SO gorgeous. This work, once again, has the gritty look that suits Batman's world perfectly and the image of Batman continues to make me think the inspiration is Robert Pattison's upcoming depiction (in fact, the whole design and look of the issue makes me think of it). I will admit that, for the first time since I first looked at Sorrentino's art, there was a moment where the layout confused me a little. That said, it was only the one time and there's a first time for everything (and, knowing me, I probably just wasn't paying attention).

In the end though, while issue 1 left me with a degree of uncertainty towards this series, issue 2 has me sold. I now look forward to the final instalment and discovering how everything ends and who is the Imposter.

And that was my week. Unfortunately, I had hoped to get another review comic read before this was written but it seems this week was something of an off week for me, with little else getting done. Hopefully though, next week will a little more positive and a little bit more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment