Friday 24 December 2021

#429 - Star Wars: Blood Ties - Boba Fett is Dead (just in time for Christmas)

So Christmas is nearly here!!

As of when I posted this, it's Christmas Eve and tomorrow sees Christmas music, gifts, a floor full of wrapping paper, good food, good drink, family squabbles and falling asleep in front of the Queen's(?) speech.

However, maybe more importantly (don't tell my wife) is the realisation that in less than a week we get more new Star Wars in the form of the Book of Boba Fett.

With this new series that I've been anticipating since its announcement just around the corner, I thought I'd get into the mood for it by reading something relating to the man(derlorian) himself.

Star Wars: Blood Ties - Boba Fett is Dead does exactly what it says on the tin as the Galaxy's deadliest Bounty Hunter is gunned down by a group of Stormtroopers and Bounty Hunters. However, when news of this Manderlorian's demise is announced across the Empire, it is received by Cantina owner Connor Freeman, a man who owes the Fetts his life in more ways than one. But when a hooded figure begins hunting down those responsible for Boba's demise, is Connor seeking retribution for Fett and, if so, is his debt worth such a task?

It's been a while since I had first read the opening issue, one that Comixology were good enough to offer for free, but it had certainly piqued my interest in the entire mini by being a really good read.

Fortunately, the series as whole measured up to that first issue in my opinion as I thought Tom Taylor had created an entertaining story which finally seemed to show Boba Fett as the badass many a Star Wars fan has wished him to be since Return of the Jedi. I really enjoyed the characters whom Taylor filled the story around Fett, from the Bounty Hunter's wife and (very funny) daughter, to the antagonists with a vengeful agenda against Fett (I could even hear Fett's post Attack of the Clones voice when I read his dialogue). However, if there was one thing about this story which I couldn't get on board with it was the connection between Boba and barman Connor.

However, this struggle was mainly down to timelines and consistency (how did a Clone have a kid that was older than Luke and Leia?), which is pretty easy to ignore.

The art, on the other hand, was something I didn't enjoy quite as much. I mean, the art is solid and has a photo-realistic look that I like. However, unlike J.K. Woodward's work in Mirror Broken and The City at the Edge of Forever, I struggled to get into this series' work as much. That said, I did enjoy the accuracy that was put in to ensure that Jango and Boba reflect the actor who played them.

In the end, despite some problems that I had with it, I thought Boba Fett is Dead was a good read. It is just a shame that it isn't classed as part of the new Disney Canon (although you never know). Nonetheless, it's intrigued me enough about the Legends series that I might just check out the prior, connecting Boba Fett minis.

No comments:

Post a Comment