Monday 11 December 2017

Star Trek - The Next Generation: Mirror Broken

Last week turned out to be a bit of a Star Trek week for me. This was made up of the fact that, for my recent birthday, I received a 50th anniversary Star Trek build-a-bear which my wife aptly named Jean-Luc 'Pawcard' and I think is completely awesome.

The other reason, however, is because the New Comic Book Day of that week saw the release of the final issue (well, at least I think it is) of Star Trek the Next Generation: Mirror Broken by IDW with help of writers David and Scott Tipton and a writer J.K Woodward. Now, as it is over, I thought I would not down my thoughts on the series as a whole (something I'd been wanting to do since after issue 1).
 
Star Trek TNG: Broken Mirror #1-5 (plus the FCBD issue)
The Mirror Broken series was something which appealed to me from the moment I learned about it on Free Comic Book Day back in May as it focused on the ever intriguing Star Trek mirror universe. This particular story focuses on the Next Generation crew as they come together in the wake of a Terran empire on the brink of eradication to execute a daring plan; to commandeer the most powerful starship in the imperial fleet, the I.S.S Enterprise. This five issue arc (plus the FCBD prelude) follows Jean-Luc Picard, who is very different to the man fans know, bring all of the well known characters together to gain control of his fateful prize and use it to take the fight to the Empire's enemies, be it with or without the Approval of his masters.
 
From the moment I saw the cover of that free issue last May I found myself intrigued by this series, mainly due to my love of the mirror universe depicted in Deep Space Nine. However. while I was drawn in due to nostalgia more than anything, that first issue was incredibly engrossing. Indeed, the rest of the series was equally enjoyable for me as the Tipton brothers (?) have created a story which I think pulls in the tropes of the series it is based on while giving it that unnervingly dark and twisted slant which I always thought made the mirror universe so compelling. I didn't find it a perfect story as the first issue proper felt a little bit slow to get off the mark but I loved how the series progressed and moved through the 'heist' arc and into the more space battle-sequel issues at the end.
 
What really gave me a kick though we're the characters. Admittedly, while the characters utilised were the majority of the cast from the show (Worf didn't make it back because he's a bad guy), they were nothing like those who I grew to love over seven seasons and four films. However, despite their more aggressive, calculating almost pirate like natures, the Tipton's really seemed to nail down all of these characters perfectly, with their essences really shining through despite their changes and their voices being heard in my head as I read their respective dialogue. I could believe this could be a lost episode of the series proper just on that alone.
 
The cover of the FCBD issue
which, admittedly, is what got
me on board with this series.
One of many pages proving J.K.
Woodward should draw Star Trek
Comics on a regular basis.
But J.K Woodward's art here is absolutely 'whoa!!!' and do I love it to the nth degree. The art in every issue is just completely gorgeous and its realism really helps sell to me that I'm reading that lost TNG episode, helping sell me on its connection. However, almost every panel has the dark, unsettling vibe going about it, from the subtle differences of the characters looks to the off-kilter colours by Woodward and Charlie Kirchoff, which helps sell me on the warped, 'through the mirror' concept of the book. But what really stands out for me comes from Woodward in the final two issues as he draws some truly epic space battle scenes, filling the pages with immense numbers of starships and giving them an almost Original Series aura which are hauntingly beautiful to me.
 
If there is one downside to this series it is simply the number of questions I have about the universe as a whole which now need answering. I know have some many questions in my head;
When did this take place? Before or after the DS9 mirror universe episodes?
If after, does that mean there's some time displacement as the characters all look younger? Or if before, why did Mirror O'Brien not mention the supposed imperial resurgence which will no doubt occur beyond this episode?
Also, where did the cloaking net come from as cloaking technology doesn't exist in this universe?Finally, why are peaceful names like 'Stargazer' and 'Utopia Planetia' used by this militant organisation instead of something more fitting?
 
At this point, I think I'm just making holes where none need be required. But hey, I'm a fan and its what I think about.
 
Regardless though, while I've never been interested in the Star Trek comics before, Broken Mirror has been a truly incredible series and one I'm glad I took a risk on. All I can hope for now is that the question mark which came on the last panel with 'the end?' is implying a follow up series because I will gladly come back for more of the same.



1 comment:

  1. Hey James! thanks for the kind words!

    To attempt to clear up some of your questions:
    It happens before the DS9 episodes. think of it as season 4 of TNG. They get the enterprise much later in this universe because they've been decimated and have much fewer resources.
    My thought on O'Brien is that he was captured a year or so before this series. He doesn't mention the Imperial insurgence because(as you guessed) it hasn't happened yet. (if it even ever does). As you likely remeber from "Chain of Command part 2" the cardassians are adept at breaking a man. it's no different in the mirror u. The alliance controls the information and feed propaganda to the prisoners(as was done to prisoners of war in our reality) to break their wills. For all we know, the empire is back strong during those DS9 episodes(happening 4-5 years after the events in this comic series and they're not telling the Terrans(of course) and by the time the eterran empire takes back a teerritory as remote as DS9 its over anyway. remember, in those episodes, we were just taking Kira's word for with regard to the stae of the Terrans.
    As far as the ship names, that's a Tipton question, but I will venture a guess and say that the ships traditionally don't change names in mirror u. In mirror mirror from TOS, the enterprise was still the enterprise, even though "Enterprise" is not exactly warlike or aggressive name. i think they were just following the previous television cannon. (again, though, I'd ask them for certainty if you get the chance.
    as for the cloaking net,again it's a Tipton question. However, I think its completely plausible in the mirror u, that terrans were able to develop this technology and keep it a secret. remember, in the prime u, the only reason we didnt have cloaking tech was because of a treaty. It seems from what we learned from "Pegasus" that we were actually better at that tech than the even the Romulans. Again, this was a Tipton contribution, so I'm just speculating.

    We purposefully left a lot open so we'd have more places to go later in case this series is not "the end?". So more can be explained if we continue with more.

    Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete