Sunday 4 June 2023

The April 2023 Pull List Comics.

 After the last two weeks of reading comics from Free Comic Book Day, I figured they would be followed up with some of the costly titles I have piling up.

So this week I started with my Pull List comics released during April.

First up, I checked out Fantastic Four #5 Which saw the Richards/Grimm clan have to blot out the sun of an entire county in order to defeat supernatural bacteria they'd neglect to dispose of in the previous issue.

Ryan North's run continues breathe new life into this series, although I am finding 'everyone hates the FF' trope little overused by this point. That said, North seems to have perfectly picked the core concept of the book whilst evenly focuses on all the cast.

Ivan Fiorelli's continues to match up perfectly in style and tone with prior artist Iban Coello (to the point that I didn't even notice the switch). However, more importantly, this style continues to imbue the spirit from Izaakse, Medina and Silva from the previous run, all having artwork I absolutely loved.

This issue was a good read and I'm loving where the series was going, although I would like the FF to be adored by the masses once again.

Next up was She-Hulk #12 which picked up from the previous issue as Jen struggled to deal with the ramifications from both Jack of Hart's re-powering and her encounter with the mysterious super-powered criminal.

This series of She-Hulk continues to be a fantastic read here. Rainbow Rowell has found the perfect balance of Jen Walters in a run that is equal parts superhero comic and slice of life. This is no better exemplified by the book club backup which is pitch perfect storytelling.

The art, meanwhile continues to match the high quality of the writing. From the gorgeous Jen Bartel cover to the stylish interiors, this comic looks so light, optimistic and full of life.

Everything about this series feels like the embodiment of She-Hulk and this issue os no exception. I love reading this month by month and i cant wait to check out the next instalment.

This was followed up by a double bill of Star Trek #6 and Star Trek #7. While issue six concluded the crew of the Theseus' encounter with the God City of T'Kon and the fallout from its encounter with Kahless, issue seven saw Captain Sisko return to DS9 in search of a weapon to fight back, whilst also having a bittersweet reunion.

While this series has continued to devolve and become a bit of a chore to read, both of these issues seemed to hit Warp speed, ramping up the action and leaving me a little more hooked.

The art continues to be solid work but, for me, its the story which has really improved. I now find myself in a bit of a quandary because I had all but given up on this series, but now I wonder if it's worth given this book yet another chance.

Finally, I finished the week with Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #2 which followed up from the prior issue as Jon Kent and his travelling companions seek out Ultraman to prevent further deaths of multiverse Supermen.

This series continues the intrigue that the first issue sets up as Tom Taylor pushes deep into Jon's complex relationship with the Earth-3 Man of Steel. However, I think that the thing which knocks it down in my estimation is the level that this series seemingly relies on prior series in order to explain the backstory.

The art is this really clean and beautiful look to it which feels perfect for a Superman character. It's also great to see Val-Zod in all his glory once again. That said, this run has me interested in what happens next, if only to get the resolution from the cliffhanger ending.

So, that was my week.

For next week, hopefully I can catch up on my pull list fully by getting through the May comics.

However, with a life the way it is sometimes, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment