Saturday 15 November 2014

Digital Week.


It's been a while since I wrote anything here, which is a shame but sadly can't be helped. Sometimes, real life has to take priority and comic books have to fall by the wayside a little (as much as it kills me to say). That said, hopefully now things (such as wedding aftermath) have calmed down some I can get back to writing here more.


I figured I'd start here with a good, old, trusty rundown of this week comics, all of which (conveniently) were digital books.


The Heavenly chord - First up, I was sent an advance copy of Jon Lock and Nich Angell's new crossover. Now I had previously read and written about part one, but on this occasion I was sent the whole story to review, which I subsequently did over at Pipedream Comics and, I gotta admit, it was a pleasure to read it because a lot of those characters are just written so damn well and the art was to die for (If you are at Thoughtbubble this weekend, you should totally buy it).


Alex + Ada #10 - After the (very enjoyable) work was done, I moved on to pleasure, starting with the always fantastic Alex + Ada, of which issue 10 only continued that trend. The saw Ada and Alex reunite while some of Alex's friends find out about her sentience. Of course, when I think back to the story it never seems overly exciting compared to all those superhero books, but yet I'm finding it so much better than those same superhero books. The story is so beautiful and moving (and a little thought provoking) while the art is still fantastic. Two thirds of the way through the run and I'm convinced the story can only end badly, but given how mesmerising this book is every issue, I really hope not.

Copperhead #3 - From that point you'd think 'the only way is down', but fortunately Copperhead #3 manages to keep me enthused with a whole different kind of book which continues Clara and Boo investigating the Sewell family massacre while at the same time Clara needs to look after her son. Again, it doesn't sound like much of a story when I recite it, but with this book it's watching the slow burn story unfold which is what makes this book so hard to put down, right until that final page reveal that totally hit me, not to mention art that actually looks western-esque. I remember reviewing the first issue and all I could think was 'this is the Sheriff's story of the train job episode from Firefly'. Three issues in, I'm still thinking that.
The Kitchen #1 - Then, finally, I decided to treat myself to something else on a whim, mostly because Multiversity recommended it (repeatedly). The Kitchen tells the story of three wives who, when their Irish gangster husband are sent to prison, have to take over their business in order to keep living. Issue one is a very well written issue with beautiful art which makes it look just like the 70's, unfortunately for me it just wasn't my thing and struggled to keep me engrossed.


And that was it. I did have two print books out this week, but being unable to reach the comic shop stopped me from picking them up for a couple of weeks (ahh, the downside of actually having to go to a place).

Oh, well, just means more to get when I finally get there.


  



No comments:

Post a Comment