Monday 31 July 2023

She-Hulk #15

With last week being the final week of July, I decided that I'd forgo reading another trade and, instead, return to my pull list in order to finish off my July 2023 releases.

So, first up this week, I've read She-Hulk #15, the final issue of series.

Well, the final issue ... for now.

This instalment sees the sensational Jade Giantess continue to acquire the information behind the Scoundrel's nefarious actions over the last few issues. Meanwhile, the Punch Club (I guess 'Fight Club' had a copyright) gather for their most recent meeting. All of these events come together in a knock-down finale and explosive ending to Jen Walters' moat recent adventure.

Again ... for now.

I've gotta admit, I'm in two minds about this issue. First up (for a change), the art by AndreÅ› Genolet continues to be phenomenal. Its a little more cartoon than a regular house style that I keep seeing in Jon Kent or what was happening at Marvel years back in, say, Thor. However, it's vibrant, kinetic and those finale pages really put the cherry on top of what, overall, has been a great series.

The writing, however, is a slightly different story. I mean, cards on the table, this issue is still great. Rainbow Rowell caps of this series with the same charm, heart and wit that every issue prior has offered and, again, the ending just just absolutely beautiful. However, I won't lie that I felt that the issue seemed a little rushed, as though they needed to wrap it up quickly and with no real conclusion.

That said, it's not enough to take away from those final few pages (Jack of Harts has really gone up in my estimations thanks to this series) and just the quality of this run as a whole. Also, given that a follow up series, the 'Sensational She-Hulk' will be picking up where this left off, I'm just going to say that this was a lovely end to this chapter.

I hope we just don't have to wait too long until the beginning of the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment