Friday 7 July 2023

Ultimate Invasion #1

I decided to read Ultimate Invasion #1 on the bus into work this morning.

This was a comic I had planned on reading much sooner than I did. Unfortunately, life being what it is, I struggled to find the time beforehand.

Not, that this comic was something I was eager as anything to read. In fact, I had long ago made my peace with the Ultimate Universe, a collection of comics which lost me some time ago in favour of the regular 616 as well as (in my opinion) the bastardisation of certain characters (See Ultimate FF). However, the guys at my LCS, while maybe not forcing it into my hands, certainly did push it on me with words like 'Hickman' and 'Lots of Reed Richards'.

So the issue, from Jonathan Hickman and Bryan Hitch, sees the Maker a.k.a. Maniacal Reed Richards from the ultimate universe, escape his confinement on Marvel Earth and set about making his escape back into the multiverse. However, on his heels are his 616 counterpart and the other members of the Illuminati who are (naturally) trying to stop him.

I have to say, though, by the time I reached the end of the issue, my initial opinion of this comic were WAY off base. Ultimate Invasion's opening issue was actually a really captivating and compelling read, one which felt just incredibly evolved compared to what I remember of Ultimate thanks to Hickman's writing (a reminder of why I like his work).

But it wasn't just the writing which won me over. Bryan Hitch's art style is one that I've grown out of in recent years in favour of others (see current FF and She-Hulk as recent examples). However, in this issue, it is truly gorgeous and incredibly fitting to the subject matter, which makes sense given that Hitch's art was the primary foundation when the Ultimate universe first came about.

As a result, reading Ultimate Invasion #1 left me absolutely hooked and eager to see more, especially after that ending which seriously intrigues me. Now, I would have preferred a cheaper comic (and would have been happy to lose the sketch page backmatter to get it) but I've got to say that I'm very glad that the boys at the shop placed this in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment