Thursday 7 September 2023

Fantastic Four #11

After reading Fire and Ice as the first comic from this new comic book day, today's read was the last of that two day pick up, although it was hardly because it was the least.

Fantastic Four #11 by Ryan North, Iban Coello and Jesus Aburtov sees the family continue to live at the rural Grimm House as Ben unwillingly adopts a seemingly stray dog which has taken an interest in him. However, that isn't the strangest thing for when he wakes the next morning he finds everyone but the dog missing and the house endlessly freefalling down a deep hole.

I've been loving Ryan North's Fantastic Four run so far but, I must admit, this was the first issue where I struggled to be invested in the story. What I initially thought was going to a Wizard of Oz homage (a dog, a flying house, 3 missing friends who portray brains, heart and courage. It seemed pretty spot on) really ended up telling a far less interesting story that seemed far too short also.

The art style by Iban Coello and Jesus Aburtov continues to be one that I like but, while the work was solid, it didn't really enhance an issue that wasn't vibing with me to a place where it was less uninteresting.

This is a short post and maybe rightly so, because I'm not a fan of crapping on a book. However, this issue was a bit of dud in my eyes. I like Ben and I get his popularity, but after the Thing heavy Slott run, I think I'm all burned out on him and would prefer greater focus on Reed, Sue and Johnny (probably the latter two)

Still, the series as a whole has been great and I'm not about to drop the whole series based on one bump in the road. Hopefully, issue 12 will bring back the quality I've come to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment