Wednesday 6 September 2023

Ultimate Invasion #3

I'm a week late on writing this but, with the kids going back to school, as well as a return to my bike to go to my work, writing time has been a little difficult.

However, I did, when it came out, read Ultimate Invasion #3 by Jonathan Hickman and Bryan Hitch.

This issue saw Howard Stark, in the aftermath of events from the prior issue, learn the truth behind the world's powers and the Maker's role in it. However, before he can make plans to combat it, he must first assist the Maker by working with a very familiar name. Meanwhile, forces from the future intent on stopping the Maker are revealed.

This issue felt like a very quiet issue and one certainly in keeping with what I dub 'third issue-itis' (I.e. an issue just before the finale which feels like a set up for that finale). However, that doesn't take away from the eeriness of the world as Hickman continue to build a new Ultimate universe which is so very different from either its predecessor or the 616.

The thing about this issue is that it seems to bring to light ideas that could conceivably be an accurate depiction of our world now. However, given how (as Howard puts it) insidious the notions are its doubtful, but it is certainly hard not to make comparisons.

As for the art, there seems little more that I can say that I haven't said prior about Bryan Hitch's contributions. Once again it really feels/looks like Hitch was the only and obvious choice to bring Hickman's vision for this story to life.

As the finale tetters ever closer, Ultimate Invasion is coming across as more and more of a captivating read. While this issue was certainly slower, I think it's gotten me appropriately salivating for the end ...

... although I do have that fear in the back of my head that the returning Ultimate universe may make it more anticlimactic that I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment