Thursday 7 September 2023

Fire and Ice: Welcome to Smallville #1


This New Comic Book Day just come and gone, and I found myself struggling with a choice about what to read first. One comic was a new title and the other something already established.

The question was; do I risk the new, unknown quantity first or last on my list.

Well, it was first as I read Fire and Ice: Welcome to Smallville #1 by Joanne Starer, Natacha Bustos and Tamra Bonvillain, which saw Beatrice Da Costa and Tora Olafstatter (the respective titular heroines) relocating to Smallville for some quiet reflection after some large scale problems arise from their heroics (which i kind of want to go back and read).

This series hit my pull list after the recent abrupt removal of Uncanny Avengers and I have to admit, I was a little worried. With Uncanny's failure to impress reminding me that no comics are perfect, along with the recent Adventures of Superman flop (in my opinion), I did fear I was setting myself up for another fall.

That said, Joanne Starer has written a very charming first issue to a story which, in this issue, feels very reminiscent to the recent Rainbow Rowell She-Hulk series in both its tone and direction. It isn't perfect in my eyes because Fire comes across as very Booster Gold here as she seeks superheroic fame. However, given that I am basing it on her depiction of Justice League Generation Lost only, there is always the idea that this is how she is, as well as this fiery temperament nicely contrasting with Ice's ... well, 'cooler' head.

Meanwhile, Natacha Bustos and Tamra Bonvillain provide absolutely stunning visuals to this story with a look that gives off a Darwyn Cooke vibe with with a far richer colour pallette. Because of this look, it gives Fire and Ice this very Babs Tarr on Batgirl of Burnside feel to it as it gets off of the usual beaten path and making this comic look truly awesome.

After the previously mentioned disappointments, I must admit that Fire and Ice is a nice breathe of fresh air that has really connected with me. I look forward to the rest of the series now and am sure glad I took the plunge and added it to my pull list at the eleventh hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment