Thursday 23 November 2023

Fantastic Four #13

Next up on my reading list was last week's release from my pull list; Fantastic Four #13

This issue closed out the story which began from issue 12 as the Quartet found themselves swapping places with their prehistoric counterparts. However, that becomes the least of their problems when they are all forced to face off against two Doctor Dooms, both eager to increase the size of the universe that they want to conquer.

I have to admit, after reading the latest instalment of Fire and Ice, I found myself hesitant to pick this issue up, fearful of a similar let down.

Fortunately, my concerns were unfounded as Ryan North round out yet another fun and light-hearted tale. What I enjoyed most about this how North resolved the plot in this issue, as Ben Grimm got to get the win not with his Fists but by outsmarted Dr Doom. Speaking of which, it was nice to see Doom taken down a peg or two, especially given how the last few years it's looked like he's been positioned as a far more heroic character than he should be.

Meanwhile, Iban Coello's artwork continues to exhibit this new age style which seems similar to the work done by Sean Izaakse, Paco Medina and a few others towards the tail-end of the Slott run. Otherwise, it's a solidly drawn issue, made better by the Fantastic look of the Fantastic Four as Dinosaurs.

Every issue of this newest Fantastic Four series has been a gem so far under North's direction, being fun and light-hearted and a complete antidote the darker real world. While I do hope for something a little more memorable to come soon, I'm still as hooked now to this comic as I was when I first picked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment