Thursday 23 November 2023

Fire and Ice: Welcome to Smallville #3

With Gideon Falls finally completed after a two week splurge, I decided to catch up on the pull list comics which I had neglected in favour of it (not that there was many, to be fair).

Deciding to read them in release order, first up was the third issue of Fire and Ice: Welcome to Smallville, which saw the eponymous superheroines continue to adjust to the quiet life in Smallville. However, quiet isn't the word when Jimmy Olsen shows up at their door, causing the duo's newly hired staff of z-list superheroes to bring a load of ensuing hilarity in a bid to impress.

Unfortunately, this issue felt like it lost the charm from the prior two as the chaos contained within felt somewhat tiresome. This issue really felt like a pit stop within Joanne Starer's overall story with no progression seemingly found (save for hints of the second half of the series' direction), instead focusing on a sort of 'three stooges' level of slapstick.

Still, there are moments of promise, especially in the quiet moment between Tora and Bea as they find common ground and the latter has something of an epiphany. Also, the final page does leave me with some intrigue as to what's happening next.

Fortunately, the art by Natacha Bustos continues to be a main asset for this comic in my eyes. Bustos' style continues to have this Babs Tarr/She-Hulk vibe to it while also displaying similarity to Terry and Rachel Dodson's work (which I can't believe I didn't realise before, especially given they are producing the covers). This, of course, is greatly helped by Tamra Bonvillain's colours, which really help the art pop with incredibly Vibrancy.

As I reflect on what I've just written, I can't help but wonder if the exhausted state I was in when I read this hindered my enjoyment, or if the nostalgia about this two lead characters from the late Keith Giffen/Judd Winick Justice League: Generation Lost series gave me rose tinted glasses with the prior instalments.

Either way, this midway issue felt like a bump in the road, as if the series has been billed as one issue too long. Hopefully though, its just this issue and next month there is a return to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment