Friday 15 December 2023

Batman: City of Madness - Book Two

It feels like a lifetime ago that I read the first instalment of Batman: City of Madness (in reality, it's been a tad over two months). In fact coupled with Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor (where the first issue came out in August), I was beginning to wonder if I had it all wrong and that both of these Black Label books were simply one-shots (and not very good ones given a lack of definite end).

Of course, almost constantly checking League of Geeks website for new and future releases and confirming they are both mini-series put my mind at ease (even if the wait did frustrate me).

Fortunately, my patience (for Batman) has finally paid off as Batman: City of Madness Book Two has been released. Book two continues Christian Ward's of the Dark Knight investigating the apparent increase in certain villains' rageful temperaments. However, as the case continues, the Batman is approached by the Court of Owls with an offer: help quell this new evil infecting Gotham by defeating an monstrous doppelganger found in a very different Gotham.


Christian Ward builds on his prior issue, where my interest was only piqued, to an entry which was far more captivating. Ward really shows a great grasp of the characters in this issue, with the Noir-esque detective nature of Batman (I.e. the internal monologue, the greatest tool of all detectives) to full effect. Also, the dialogue of characters like Nightwing, Alfred and Bullock come across perfectly in my head (of course, thus may be a piece of good timing as I've recently started re-watching the animated Batman series on Netflix).

As for the plot itself, there is still a lot of mystery regarding many aspects of this series. Little focus has been given to the importance of the boy or even a rationale behind the evil influence over certain characters (some of whom felt perfectly utilised for this story). However, Ward dangles enough line in the water to have kept me on the hook.

Ward's artwork meanwhile, still as psychedelically breath-taking as before, is pitch perfect for the story he is telling (as if he built the story just to show off his drawing chops). It lets off just the right mood for this Gotham that's on the edge of a very different kind of abyss constantly. In fact, from the reveal of one very fluid villain to the audience with the court and even the Bat's arrival at a villains colourful nightclub (I need to know if that villain is new for this story because I've never seen him before), there are so many pages where the art is truly mesmerising.

Then there is the lettering by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou. Normally, I don't speak much about lettering because, while letterers deserves as much praise as anyone, theirs is an invisible art, only ever seen when it is bad work. However, here the letters only enhance the art by imbuing the chaotic vibe from Arkham Asylum and series of that ilk. This results in the dialogue further showing this city and its occupants descending deeper into the titular madness.

This issue isn't a massive jump in its captivation, but it is certainly a step in the right direction. Christian Ward has left Batman: City of Madness nicely set up for a finale full of revelations and twists (I certainly hope). However, given how exquisite this issue has been to look at, the only thing which worries me is how long I'll have to wait until the end reaches me.



No comments:

Post a Comment