Thursday 7 December 2023

Fantastic Four #14

Picking up the comics from my pull list for the week, I've decided to change tack a little, putting Fire and Ice to second and, instead, starting my reading week with Fantastic Four #14.

It's been a year since the events of issue 1 (well, technically, it's been 14 months, but I suppose we've had a couple of 2 parters) and finally the Baxter Building and it's outlying area are set to return. However, when the FF return to the site of their former home, they discover a social media inspired task being developed, threatening their children's imminent return.

With this issue, I really felt that Ryan North was trying to infuse a degree of social commentary into this series. And while I have no trouble with that (I like when comics try to say something deeper), the out of the blue and abrupt nature of it didn't help this issue capture me like the series so far has.

Of course, that's not to say it was a bad issue, as the focus on the evils of wealth, how power corrupts and discussion of invasion of privacy are very contemporary topics and truly need focus and the four are socially conscious enough to be the advocates against such things, it just felt that its inclusion and, with it, its resolution felt a little forced.

Everything Else for me is less a complaint and more of a nit-pik; the Gen-Z versions of classic Spidey/FF villains (what can I say, I'm a Paste-Pot-Pete fan), the arrogant CEO, Johnny's 'tashe (seriously, man, just shave it already!). It's fortunate that North gets the personalities of the quartet (I mean quintet. Sorry Alicia), because their charm keep me invested despite my struggle.

What's also fortunate is the art. Ivan Fiorelli's style perfectly matches up with Iban Coello work as the two seem to seamless tag in and out without any notice. However, with this issue in particular, the visuals made me think of prior FF works by Dale Eaglesham and the great Mike Wieringo (whose run is also though of in terms of the greater story in that the FF are hated. Yes, it's happened before!). Also, what's great about this art is that Brian Reber's colours have this light/white hue to them which gives it this hi-tech/futuristic vibe (or certainly makes me think of such books), which works in favour given this teams activities.

At this point, I'm not going to lie but admit that I'm done with the loss of the Baxter Building and it has me wondering, did I struggle with this issue because it put that resolution off? Well, maybe. This is by no means a bad issue (although I fear my words prior tell a different story), but it certainly is the weakest of North's run so far. Hopefully, next month will be a return to form (as well as, finally, a return home).

No comments:

Post a Comment