Friday 8 December 2023

Fire and Ice: Welcome to Smallville #4

After reading Fantastic Four #14, my second (and final) pull list comic of the week was Fire and Ice: Welcome to Smallville #4.

Picking up from the shell-shocking ending of the last issue, things are frayed between Tora and Bea as both struggle to move ahead with their respective plans, the other seemingly threatening success.

After last issue feelings of failure towards this series, I must confess that I came to this latest instalment with a fresher perspective and it actually wasn't so bad. While another quiet issue, this one feels much more focused on the dynamic between Fire and Ice, their issues, fears and concerns toward each other. This certainly feels like a welcome change of pace after the Big Brother/I'm a Celeb-like tone of the past few issues.

Of course, Bea's 'Real World' reality show hasn't entirely gone and its joined by a gruff, intergalactic Bounty Hunter whom I have little love for (also, Charlie the bartender seems to have had a complete personality change since his introduction), none of this feeling very enticing to me. However, I really enjoyed Joanne Starer's re-focus towards the eponymous characters in this issue.

However, Natacha Bustos' artwork continues to be the main draw for me to this series. Her style, making me thinking more and more of the Dodson's work, is just really phenomenal as it gives this 'Batgirl in Burnside' vibe of real life. Meanwhile, Tamra Bonvillain's use of colours here continues to be the icing on the cake, especially as, again, the tones are used on Bea and Tora which perfectly match their power set.

While this wasn't a full 180 from the last issue, part four certainly renews my hope slightly in how this run will pan out. What I do hope though is that the hint of the larger story which has been hiding in the background comes to the forefront of the story next month and give the book an ending which is a little less hot and cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment