Tuesday 9 January 2024

Fantastic Four #15

To start the new week, I returned to my pull list, finally getting round to last week's new comics, beginning with Fantastic Four #15.

This issue continued the story from issue 14 as the Baxter Building still hadn't returned (talk about flogging a dead horse). However, as the Four (and Alicia) scramble to find out why, the answer is revealed by Megamind, the phone app turned superintelligence who knows the only threat to his existence are the Fantastic Four.

I've been enjoying Ryan North's and Ivan Fiorelli's run for the most part, but I have been beginning to think that the wait for the return of the Baxter Building has become far too drawn out. However, this issue felt like a real breathe of fresh air.

More than any other story so far in this run, North seems to have created a truly fantastic, high science story that is most in keeping with the idea of the Fantastic Four, the imaginauts. Indeed, everything, from the reveal to the twist, to the Four's attempts to save the day feels to me as the most reminiscent yet of stories from the Mark Waid/ Mike Weiringo run.

Speaking of that run, Ivan Fiorelli's art continues to really mesmerise me and is so reminiscent of Wieringo's work on this title, albeit Fiorelli does provide it with a new age twist (as I've mentioned so many times before).

Now that the Baxter Building is back, I'm hopeful that the book is going to have a sort of fresh start to its adventures. However, this final instalment to what could be called North's first arc was a tremendous read and I'm hoping for a lot more stories of this quality to come!!


No comments:

Post a Comment