Friday 4 March 2022

#443 - Using the New Comixology (while reading Shanghai Red #1)

It has been two weeks now since the Amazon conversion occurred and the Comixology site we all knew and loved ceased to exist.

In that time, I've seen and heard so much shade levied against the site/app regarding its un-usability.
Now, in that time, I've found the new Comixology to be a bit of a mixed bag. Some parts if it I was able to get on with while others felt truly bad.

However, with us all two weeks I to the new system, I figured I'd read a comic using both the app and the desktop link through the Amazon site to get a clearer picture.

The Comic

To do this, I decided to read the same comic on both readers, Shanghai Red #1, a comic I happened to find going for free on Amazon/Kindle shop/Comixology as I was updating my Comixology wish list (more on that later). Shanghai Red tells the story of Red, a woman who was Shanghai'd and sold into service on a ship. However, three years later, Red leads a mutiny and takes over the ship, as she makes plans to go home an exact revenge on those who took her from her life.

I'd first heard about this series when writer Chris Sebela had an interview on Creator Talks way back when and, upon discovering the premise, thought it was an interesting one. As a result, Shanghai Red has been a comic series which has been on my (very long) wish list ever since I had heard of it.

Well, now that I've gotten to read the first issue, the series proper has certainly had its place on my list shown to be deserved. I really enjoyed the first issue, as it made me think of 12 Years a Slave (if that film had been set on a boat and the ending hadn't been as hopeful). In fact, this is more like what came after the events of that film as Red's time being shanghai'd comes to an end and she sets about finding her family and implementing her revenge. I have to confess, I'm very intrigued after reading this issue as to what the circumstances for her 'imprisonment' were (i.e. how she came to be in the situation) as well as I wonder if her father may have more impact to the story (I've obviously read Spencer and Locke too many times).

Anyway, the art is gorgeous in this issue. I did struggle with it to begin, but it has this kind of Francesco Francavilla crossed with Caspar Wjingaard vibe to it, as it gives off this rather horror look but in an understated manner. Because of this, I really got more on board (a boat pun, haha .... never mind) with Joshua Hixson's art style as it went on until we reached the end where it provides a twisted sort of beauty towards Red's destination, which certainly implied to me that Red's future isn't going to be a pleasant one.

So, circling back around to the beginning, I found Shanghai Red #1 to an intriguing and engrossing read, one which I'm definitely thankful was on my wishlist (I'll have to make it a priority once my backlog has been burned through).

Comixology

So that was the comic I read. Like I said, I read it twice (well mostly), once on both the Comixology app and the Comixology website.

First up was the website/desktop and, I must confess, the rumours I'd been hearing of its dire operating doesn't do the experience justice. To start, you have to access 'Kindle Comics' in order to get to your library. Unfortunately, I've tried looking for it through Amazon and I cannot for the life of me find that part of the site. In fact, the only way for me to get to 'Kindle Comics' is to type in the old Comixology link which directs me to where I now need to go (how long do you think this url will stick around?).

Anyway, when I (finally) made it to the page and into my library (which I initially couldn't find but they've now added a tab) and selected the comic I was going to read. Now here is where I've heard most of the complaints made against this new set up and, boy, does it show. The desktop reader isn't very comfortable to read, laid out on the screen exactly as shown by people on Twitter and beyond. It doesn't fill the whole screen, taking up the equivalent of half. It does have a sort of guided view, but this one doesn't really enlarge a panel, but rather maintains that panels position while erases the other panels to give what you are looking at your full attention. Of course, your full attention doesn't really help if the lettering is too small to read without squinting (apparently there's a pinch and zoom function, but I couldn't work it).

Also, by the end, I found it isn't easy to locate other comics, because the site will look through literally everything Amazon has to sell. I searched for one comic and received a search list where the comics was on the second page.

The App, on the other hand, I found to be a much better experience and was so much more comfortable to use. Looking a lot like the Kindle App (which I've been getting more into over the last year or so), this Comixology App I found to be vastly more improved in its usage when compared to reading off of the desktop. For one thing, improving both the dekstop and the old app, they now allow a filter to switch between read and unread, something I really badly wished for previously. Also, the slides such as finding a book within your library and when finding a page are so much better than the slides on the last version (although I will admit I prefer the old page search function of griding the pages).

The read itself handles in much the same way as the prior version, with the pages filling the entire screen of my tablet whether it is as a page at a time or in guided view. Also, once I was finished, I found that finding the next issue or trade was so much easier to do through the app than on the desktop with it being equally easy to add to the wishlist (at least now that there are wishlists, because initially mine was gone before coming back).

Now, the app isn't perfect; it takes a while to download comics (after having wiped anything you had previously downloaded before the update) and when it comes to exiting a book you are reading to go back to the main library, it is a bit difficult initially. However, I certainly think that all of the good outweighs all of the bad.

So, what does all of this mean? Well, other than the fact that I can go on and on (and on and on), I think it's fair to say that, while I sure agree with the wider world that this 'update' is absolute trash, I certainly believe that it is the desktop access/site that are hit with the majority of the bugs. For me, the App is still an incredibly smooth reading experience (well, compared to the other option) and that it causes me far less stress with my reading than the alternative.

Of course, all of this is just my subjective view. There are still a lot of people who are struggling with this change due to so many problems that came with it, as this article from my pal Alex at Pipedream Comics attests.

Reviews

Speaking of Pipedream Comics, while I've finished rambling on about my thoughts on Comixology and reading Shanghai Red, I also made time to put together a review.

This review was for The Miracles, a new superhero team book from Vince Underwood, Harry Saxon and Joe Glass. Now, I don't know what I expected from this comic, to be honest as I knew Joe to be a fantastic writer through The Pride and Acceptable Losses, but I guess the interview I did with him and Vince some time back had me wondering. Fortunately, my worries were abated as this was a truly great read.

Now, the review (as always) breaks my thoughts down better, but I truly think this is Joe's best work today and, if he wanted to pitch to the big leagues, this is the book to get their attention. This was a seriously engrossing story and one that asked a lot of poignant questions about some very heavy real life situations (naturally including, but not exclusive to, homosexuality and the concept of coming out).

Of course, this isn't a one man show and Vince Underwood's art is truly excellent and is very much a reason why this book is so great. He's kept the great style which he brought over from Elk Mountain and it's a perfect fit for this world. Meanwhile, Harry Saxon's colours more than imbue the tone which Joe was looking for.

I'll be honest, I'm now really, REALLY gutted that I didn't pledge to this at the time. In fact, as I write this, I'm very tempted to get a copy of this for my shelf, because that might just be where it belongs.

And that's my week (well, apart from a couple of rough cover designs I worked on). Next week, back to reading a trade, although at the moment I'm struggling to decide; These Savage Shores or The Other History of the DC Universe?

Maybe I'll get lucky and have enough time to read them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment