Sunday 13 March 2022

#445 - Kickstarter comics, part 1: Hallowed North #1

After last week's tremendously poor showing by myself, whereby I only managed to read one comic, the first issue of We have Demons, I felt that I needed to try and up my game for this coming week.

Therefore, I'm planning to write five short blog posts as I burn through some outstanding comics which I obtained through completed Kickstarters, as well as a couple that I was gifted in advance of their forthcoming campaigns.

So, let's get started.

Yesterday I read Hallowed North #1, the digital reward I received for pledging to Jeremiah Espinoza's Kickstarter campaign to make it a reality. Created by Espinoza, J. Schiek and Matt Krotzer, Hallowed North tells the story of Ben, a young man struggling to maintain his life in the face of the monsters which plague his mind. However, while no one else can see these creatures, Ben fears what they can do and makes plans to run from his family and escape the monsters' evil. But as Ben struggles to face his demons, there is an unknown selection of people looking to try and help him in the Hallowed North.

When the Kickstarter first came across my Twitter Feed, I was intrigued by the reference to the comic being very much connected to mental health (something I've always had a connection to myself). However, while Hallowed North #1 certainly delivered some very real, very brutal visions of suffering from mental health disorders and was an intriguing read, it was a little bit confusing.

When it came to the focus of Ben's mental health, I really felt that Jeremiah had wrote a great story, one that was really poignant and authentic, as though he had seen first hand the hell someone can go through. However, the other aspects of the story left me with questions come the final page as I wondered if Ben also had a superpower? Was this a sort of insidious horror story or a genetic/hereditary condition akin to the Darkness (and I mean the Top Cow character, not the band)? What is the purpose of the Hallowed North and why was it so business-like?

Meanwhile, the art was cool. I'm a big fan of J. Schiek's work and while this didn't connect with me as much as Rebecca or his Hush Ronin comic, it was still a solid piece of work nonetheless. I think it was the colours that didn't quite gel with me here although, when working with the pencils, it all gave me this vibe that it was all a dream (or, more accurately, a nightmare).

By the end, I really thought Hallowed North #1 was an ok read. It hadn't properly caught me but it certainly left me intrigued with questions I need answered. That said, I do find myself going back and forth on whether to pledge when issue 2 rolls around. Maybe I'll make the decision when it gets here.

Now, if you read this and want to check Hallowed North out, you should check out Jeremiah Espinoza's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment