Friday 11 March 2022

#444 - We Have Demons #1

Since my last post, my week has been a decidedly slow one.

Unfortunately, real life has tended to get in the way and, because of this, I've struggled to drum up the enthusiasm (or even the appropriate time) to read almost anything.

A far cry from my plans to read either Those Savage Shores or The Other History of the DC Universe.

Fortunately, while it isn't anywhere near the level of comics I had hoped to read, I was able to make just enough time to read one single issue. 

Thanks to a case of 'it's not what you know but who you know' (thanks Alex) I got the chance to read We Have Demons #1, as a result of the recent review on Pipedream Comics. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Horror/Action comic follows Lam, the daughter of a pastor with little belief in God who discovers one upon her father's death that his deep dark secret which kept a distance between the two is more supernatural than anything she could've expected.

I really enjoyed this issue. It had an air of Hack/Slash to it but felt a little more ... subtle (I really couldn't think of a better word) in its delivery. I liked what Snyder seemed to be doing here, as the story tried to take the concepts of faith and science and kind of meet them in the middle. This seems most evident (well, to me) in the legend of a thousand swords and the material they are made from, an idea which I really liked. It also made me curious as to why Lam's axe didn't do what it was supposed to? Was it because she used her artificial hand to wield it? I do hope there is an answer later on.

Meanwhile, I also loved the art in this issue. I've only ever seen Capullo's art in the New 52 Batman run (the first six issues to be exact), but I thought the style here was so much more colourful and vibrant and ... well, enhanced (although that would make sense if someone's skills were to get better with time). In short and overall, We Have Demons first issue was an excellent read and I am definitely adding the series to my wish list.

And so that's my (very comic-lite) week. The truth of it though is that I'm glad it was just this one comic as the last seven days have been exhausting ones. Hopefully, I can get into a groove and read ... I dunno, a whole 'TWO' comics (talk about ambitious) next week.

However, even if it is one, I have just had a tempting contender for that entry hit my inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment