Monday 14 March 2022

#447 - Kickstarter comics, part 3: Vodou Cowboy #1

Day three, blog post three.

It seems I didn't actually have as many comics outstanding as I had initially thought after Hallowed North and Fairyfare.

Fortunately, I was given the opportunity to read a comic which is soon to have a Kickstarter campaign start. As such, I figured, why not!!

So, yesterday I read Vodou Cowboy #1, which I was allowed to check out before it's kickstarter campaign begins. This comic tells the story of Grady Young, a Bokor (Voodoo Witch Doctor) in the old west who arrives in the town of Sweet Root by an old friend when a member of the community becomes possessed by a demon. However, a case of performing an exorcism becomes the least of Grady's problems when he discovers that his being brought to this small town was no more than an intricate ploy to gain possession of his family ring, and the source of his powers, by someone from his past now utilising monstrous abilities. But can Grady outsmart and destroy these dark powers before they destroy this town?

I've always been a fan of a lot of Matt Garvey's back catalogue and while some of his comics haven't resonated with me, the large majority (Chunks, White Noir, Devil in Disguise and many others besides) I've enjoyed immensely. Now, after what feels like a lengthy hiatus of his work, I have say that Vodou Cowboy comfortably fits amongst that majority with another fun story which I found myself griped by. There were some real strengths to this story which really helped me enjoy it, notably the dialogue which (maybe for the first time in a Garvey comic) seems to have lost the British accent in my head when I read it. I don't know if the Cowboy setting helped me hear the words differently but it certainly read as per the location events took place. Also, I truly loved the tone of this issue, which really nicely fit into that kind of Constantine-esque subtle horror/thriller, with no excessive gore or humour that I associate with Matt's books, making this a real growth in his story telling.

The artwork though, is what seals the deal for me with this comic. I absolutely love Arjuna Susini's style in this issue, with a fantastic rough style that reminds me of J. Shiek's work on Hush Ronin or the Alterna book Horrors of the West. As a result, I loved how this issue really felt lived in in an Unforgiven sort of tone. Of course, this is helped to this kind of comparison by Dee Cunniffe's tremendously dour colours, which helped me feel that kind of dangerous and foreboding vibe of the environment which Grady rides into.

In short, I really enjoyed reading Vodou Cowboy's opening instalment and am a little bummed that, because this is an advanced copy, I have to wait after not just one, but two kickstarter campaigns before I can get the second issue (if it comes into being).

If you've read this and are convinced on my thoughts, you should be able to pledge to the Kickstarter when it starts. I suggest following Matt on Twitter to see when.

No comments:

Post a Comment