Sunday 13 March 2022

#446 - Kickstarter comics, part 2: Fairyfare #1

So, day two, post two.

After posting my thoughts on Hallowed North yesterday, I thought I'd read a comic that had been sat in my Google drive gathering dust a little while longer.

So I read Fairyfare #1, a comic from a successful kickstarter late last year by Nick Bryan and Rosie Alexander.This comic follows the story of Phillipa, an employee of Fairyfare, an app which allows you to hire a fairy to make your life easier (for a charitably donated price). However, for Tash, Phillipa's sister, Fairyfare doesn't seem like the fairytale employer they seem as she finds herself wondering if there is a better way to make a difference in people's lives. With that, Tash attempts to find another job in life that is more befitting her until an opportunity that lands in Phillipa's lap allows Tash to regain her magic while discovering the truth behind what makes Fairyfare tick.

To put it simply, I enjoyed Fairyfare. While it took me a minute to get the hang of (the opening is a little confusing), I found the concept to be both unique and something of a relatable journey as Phil and Tash attempt to find their very different places in the world. I thought that Nick Bryan sold those contrasting points of view really well within their respective personas, as Tash attempted to find a way to make a real difference while Phil wants to carve herself a more successful niche. As I read this, I found myself connecting with both of their points of view because, in my mind, who has never wanted to be successful or make a substantial difference in the world (I know I have). Regardless, these core desires of both sisters, coupled with their rather charming personalities, really help make this an engaging comic for me as we reached the end and the meat of the plot started to take shape.

As for the art, this was much like the story in that it took me a minute to get to grips with. As I said before, I'm a big fan of Rosie Alexander's pin up art, with her style and her colours being gorgeously trippy. However, when implemented as sequentials, I found the work to be a different beast and the style to be a tad harder to grasp. That said, as the issue progressed I really got the hand of it and Rosie's work really suited the world in which Phil and Tash inhabit, not just on the magical side but also during Tash's trip through the real world (in the case of her multiple jobs).

By the end of the issue, I found myself truly intrigued about where this series is likely to go next. I can't lie, I'm a little annoyed with myself that I waited so long to read this issue (much like with so many other comics in my library) but, as is the old adage, 'all good things come to those who wait' and I think that is certainly the case here.

Now, if you want to read Fairyfare, I'm pretty confident that you can get it at www.buysmallpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment