Wednesday 12 August 2015

Superman is more relatable than Batman!!!

Ok, a full disclosure moment (in case it hasn't been shown as apparent before); I'm a big fan of Superman. Therefore, this post can probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

I recently watched Cinemasins 'everything wrong with...' Videos for both the Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad trailers and, during both, I couldn't help but notice how Batman was constantly referenced to as the 'best character'.

Now, this isn't a sole opinion as far as I know, because a lot of people think that way (which is fair enough, because everyone deserves an opinion, right?) and the most common theory is that Batman is popular because he is relatable.

Meanwhile, I recently heard about an interview done with Henry Cavill (who plays Superman) and Zack Snyder (who directed the film), both making mention of the struggle in portraying the character based on his unrelatablity to audiences.

Well, with that in mind, I figured I'd give my opinion on both of these and here it is:

Superman is way MORE relatable than Batman is!!!

I know, sacrilege right?

There's a reason I think this. Obviously I will never be Superman because super strength and flight are not powers anyone is likely to pick up in the real world. But Batman is a normal guy who wears a cape and has gadgets to make him a superhero. Now that is something people can more realistically aspire to.

However, neither character is based on their power set alone and that is where Superman wins out. This is because Batman is Bruce Wayne, a billionaire playboy living off unparalleled wealth gained by his ancestors who has plenty of time and resources to make himself this great superhero. He's also constantly portrayed as perfect. This makes him difficult to relate to because I will never be that rich, that in shape or that able to take out multiple supervillains without gaining a scratch (I mean if the character put on sunglasses at the end of each issue, I'd be convinced he was Horatio Caine in his invincibility).

Superman, on the other hand, is much more relatable to me because as Clark Kent, while being an alien with extraordinary powers, he works a nine to five job and is often depicted as struggling to do the right thing despite his enormous power set. Also, Kent has been raised to the point that he sees everyone around him as an equal, while Wayne, having been raised somewhat alone, always makes me feel as if he sees himself as superior (now that I think about it, he's like Lex Luthor).

Of course, I'm not trying to say one character is better than the other, as both have their merits (though Supes is better), but while most of the world thinks that Batman is the character they could see themselves as, I personally think they are mistaken; Superman is the character average people are more likely to relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment