Friday 19 October 2012

C'mon Marvel, what's with all the double issues a month?

So I was just going through the newly released Marvel Solicitations for January and something caught my eye: Issues 1 AND 2 of New Avengers will be released.
Now this doesn't seem like a big deal on it's own but as I went further down the listings I discovered that Dark Avengers, a book I'm currently collecting, has issues 185 and 186 released that month as well. Not to mention the new Thunderbolts series, a book I'm interested in picking up, has issues 1 and 2 released in December.
Now I'm sure there are lots of offers in the solicits for these two months, for now I'm just focusing on what I collect and what I'm interested in. However, this is not something new from Marvel as they've been doing it for most of the year, if not longer. Uncanny X-Force, Daredevil, FF, Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers, Incredible Hulk, Hulk, Wolverine and (I think) Deadpool as well as others have all had two issues released in a month at some point this year, in fact by my estimates, all these titles have had this a minimum of 3 times in a year, making 15 issues released a year.
Now, I'm all for plugging the gaps between issues because who the hell wants to wait a month between issues. However, while 3 extra issues of a book may not be so much, a single title isn't all someone will buy. At the moment I pick up 5 marvel books, which is the 12 standard issues each. So I'm picking up 60 issues and then an extra 15 on top of that. It's very costly and a little unfair.
So all I'm saying is, Marvel should learn to cut down this need to intermittently release additional issues of a book because one day it may cause some of their more loyal fans to, out of frustration, decide to take their money elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment