Tuesday 27 May 2014

Burnout!!!

So, it's been three weeks since I posted anything here and that's not because any comic books have not been released in that time.

Sadly, I think I may have gotten to the point where, when it comes to comic books, I just don't care all that much.

The reason for this could stem in a change in attitude. In the last six months to a year, the titles I've been reading have really lost their allure with me and I find myself just reading for the sake of reading and not truly enjoying them. This was evidenced in a few weeks back when I cut five marvel titles from my pull list, all of which are produced by quality creators (and two of which, Daredevil and Fantastic Four, I've been reading since the turn of the century).

It's fair to say that maybe I've developed comic book burnout, which isn't exactly a surprise given that for the recent past i've been bombarded by comic books left and right. In the recent past I've not only been to conventions and picked up a ton of additional books I'm still trying to get through, but I've also taken a reviewing job for Pipedream Comics (which is a pretty cool site and worth checking out.) which has me looking at more books still.

A pretty sweet set up huh? Normally, I'd agree but as I prep for a wedding, renovate a house (well, clean and paint it) and look for a new job (damn redundancy) I find time is at a premium; one which keeping up with my favourite hobby struggles to maintain a priority and even causes a burning candle at both ends scenario.

So, is that it?? No, I don't think so, mainly because I can't give up some books quite that easily. I think the best plan is to scale back on what I buy and maybe read some of my already established collection to remind myself of why I am addicted to comics so much. In the meantime, I'll still be writing and trying to find a better use of time and hopefully, in the not too distant future, my pull list will be bulging with comic books again.

No comments:

Post a Comment