Saturday 24 December 2016

Plans for 2017

So, the new year is finally here! Much like pretty much everyone else, I have to say I'm glad to see the back of 2016 for, on top of idiotic referendums, inmates now (or soon to be) running superpowered asylums and the great losses of those who gave us hope, Faith, Starman and Yippee Ki Yay, I've personally have taken a bit of a beating from the year of hell (hey, a Star Trek reference).

Fortunately, it's over now and with 2017 being about a day old I've started to put together a massive list of resolutions and plans for the next 365 days (no leap year this year right?). Of course, while most relate to my everyday life, there are a few that are to do with my comicing, of which I thought I'd just jot down here.

So, here they are....

1. Read like my life depends on it! My first comics resolution may see a little obvious but there is a reason for it being on my list. It recently occured to me that I have a (somewhat) big collection at home and much of I've never read more than once. I mean, what's the point of keeping these comics if I only ever read them once and, therefore, I want to get more into my comic reading so that I may enjoy some of these books all over again. As for any comics I don't enjoy, well, that's where resolution number two comes in.

2. Trim down my collection. In truth, my need to read all my previously bought/currently owned comics comes with an ulterior motive. My wife and I recently realised how cluttered our home is and our big plan is to have a clear out to make things more manageable. As this is the plan in general, I'd like to do my bit and any comics I read which no longer hold my interest will most likely be donated away (either back to my LCS to be offered to other comics readers or to a local school for the kids to read). By doing this, I'd like to think I can streamline my collection and also free up enough space to comforably pick up new comics, which leads me nicely into resolution number 3.

3. Build up my pull list. While 2016 saw my overall pull list somewhat crumble down to almost nothing as my love of the medium started to wane, in the final few weeks I found something of a resurgence of my comic book addiction. Because of this, I have decided to increase my monthly comic budget and with it grow my pull list a little (or maybe even a lot by the year's end). Options have already presented themselves with this resolution, as Daredevil may be making a return to my pull list and DC Rebirth titles make me interested, and so the real trick will be keeping the list's growth manageable.

4. 40 reviews in 52 weeks a.k.a support small press more. In truth, this resolution, referring to the many comic reviews I hammer out for Pipedream Comics, may be the most manageable out of all of them. However, it is still on this list because it is something I wish to achieve for two simple reasons; 1. It improves my writing skills and 2. It gives me a greater opportunity to read more small press comics, which I've progressively found to be holding its own with the quality of the big two. It's because of this second reason that I want to maintain a large number of reviews, as small press, as well as the smaller publishers like Aftershock, Alterna, Thrillbent, Titan and others, deserve more visibility and support, to which these reviews are the only way I know how.

5. Write, write, write!!! My final resolution, fitting in (to a degree) with the last one does seem a little vague and this is with good reason. This is because, in the end, all I want to do wish write more, whether it be more reviews on Pipedream, opinion pieces, blog post or maybe even something else which is a little different (ideas of which I have in my head). By doing this I can get more of what's in my head down on paper, making it more permanent, as well as improving my style (as mentioned before).

And there it is, a list of the things I want to do within comics, both to do with my collecting, my reading AND my reviewing. I have to admit, that I think it's unlikely that I will achieve all (or even any) of them as a young family and nine to five job does tend to make free time limited. However, it's nice to have an ambition (or five) to aim for so good luck to me.

Hopefully, I'll be able to mention some success with these come 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment