Friday 5 May 2017

Free Comic Book Day 2017

So another Free Comic Book Day has been and gone. For me, 2017 was a heck of a lot shorter than 2016 as my son tagged along for his second year running (I hope I can make this a reoccurring thing). However, as he was a new born last year, his attention span this time round was a lot shorter and so it really was a case of 'in and out.'

That said, despite its rather limited effect on my life, Free Comic Book Day is still a fantastic occasion. This year, this was made so due to my local comic shop again opening in a new (bigger) location on the second FCBD running. It was good to see the shop in a more spacious environment given its humble, cramped beginnings. It was also good to see that, despite its space, it was very cramped due to the number of customers who had shown up within the first 15 minutes of the day. In my opinion, it's a sign that FCBD does its job in that it pulls in comic fans both old and new. In fact, as I left the shop I spotted a couple who just happened to be passing by actually stop and go in (let's just hope they bought something).

But back to the comics and my LCS presented its customers with a vast selection of the free comics. This year, we were offered the chance to get as many as we wanted (we were limited to 7 each last year) and while I could have picked up many more, I only took copies of the books which really interested me. These books were:

Buffy: The High School Years
Kid Savage
The Legend of Zelda
Steam Wars: Strike Leader
Riverdale
Star Trek The Next Generation: Mirror Broken
2000 AD
I Hate Image
The Looking Glass Wars: Crossfire
Keyser Soze: Scorched Earth
Wonder Woman Special Edition
Doctor Who
Betty and Veronica

So thirteen books in all. Of course, this wasn't all I bought as I also picked up a copy of the JLA The Ray one-shot. This was a book which caught my eye back when it was released and while I had intended to pick it up digitally, I really wanted to make a purchase today from the shop to support them because they had offered all this freebies and, as with all comic shops, doing this isn't free. I do feel bad I didn't buy more but hopefully I can start making up for that in the future.

In the meantime though, I now have 14 new comics to read. I'm probably going to give them a whole post to talk about my thoughts on them towards the end of the month (Pull List style). There are a number of which I'm truly excited to read (Star Trek, Betty and Veronica, Wonder Woman, Keyser Soze) and some which intrigue me (pretty much all the rest).

Hopefully, I can find the time during May to read through them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment