Tuesday 16 October 2018

The Boycott Dilemma.

I hadn't planned to post anything here this, instead deciding to focus on other things I am currently working on. However, recent news and revelations have gotten me thinking a little bit on this dilemma and so I figured why not.

So, I was reading this morning about Chuck Wendig and the recent news (from the last two days) that he had been fired by Marvel from his work on a Star Wars book because his Twitter Feed was too negative. Now, I've looked around and read up a bit on it and found that while Wendig might actually be this way naturally, it's more than likely a reaction to critics and haters being directly negative against him for certain reasons.

(But what do I know?)

Now, my opinion on this. Assuming that this was done to curb any negative backlash by those critics against Marvel, I think this is below the pale and a pretty shitty move by Marvel to fire a man for circumstances which are beyond his control. Also, even if it was Wendig that caused it with his 'political' views, why should he be punished for voicing his views (as long as they aren't hateful towards others of course).

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

I've been pondering on this subject for much of the last day or so now upon finding and reading about this story. If a publisher does something despicable or not in line with your own personal beliefs, should you boycott that publisher's comics?

Take the soon to be released Red Dead Redemption 2 as an example (yes, not a comic book but bare with me). I've been reading over the internet that RDR2's creative studio, Rockstar, have been forcing their workers to partake in 100 hour weeks. Now, that I find sickening as, being someone whose mental health has suffered over the years, know what seriously long working days can do to you. Therefore, I would probably give RDR2 a miss as despite it being a gorgeous looking game, my money wouldn't go direct to these creators who sacrificed their lives but to the shareholders and that doesn't sit well. However, on the other hand, if everyone was like me and no one bought it, the company may go under and all those overworked people may end up with no work at all.

(I probably won't buy it because I don't have time to run through a 60 hour campaign, making this moot, but it works as an example.)

The same, I feel, applies in comics. Over the last few months, I've seen/heard stories about publishers effectively 'screwing over' their talent in various ways or supporting creators whose views I find seriously upsetting. From placing restrictions on general creative submissions to giving Alt-Right individuals platforms and (as stated) dismissing talent on the basis of standing up for themselves, I feel that some publishers are either showing their true colours or simply not willing to use their influence to protect the less protected.

So, this brings me to the thought which is rattling around in my head; do I boycott these publishers and their works to make a point with my dollar, the only thing they understand? Or, by doing this, am I taking my 'ethical superiority' (for want of a better description) out on the creators of those books I boycott?

I find this something of a dilemma because the books I pick up I enjoy and don't really want to give them up. However, if I punished publishers for their jackassery then I end up losing everything. An example of this (though without any names) is there is one small publisher who has released an good number of really interesting series, all created by really cool creators. However, this publisher has done some questionable things in the last few months and were I to boycott their titles in response then those creators would lose money from a story they have out their heart and soul into and doesn't make them a high wage in the first place.

I found things a little easier when I was thinking of titles as when the Divided States of Hysteria by Howard Chaykin was released, I thought it a somewhat interesting title to try. However, upon learning online of it's contents I couldn't, in good conscience, bring myself to give money to something like this. Now, maybe I should have judged it for myself and maybe it was not as bad as the internet claimed, but I don't regret my decision and if anyone thought I'd made a mistake... well, that's just how it'll have to be.

However, it's murkier waters when it comes to a cool looking book being sold by a suspect publisher. An example of this is Super Sons, which I really wanted to pick up back when Rebirth started. However, the editor on that title was one Eddie Berganza (who is famous for his own reasons) and, because of his 'supposed past', I felt uncomfortable picking this up as it seemed like I'd be condoning his actions. However, because of this, I felt bad that I didn't support the work of the writer/artist/Inker/Colorist/Letterer who gave their all on this book.

The same applies here with these new ponderings, as I find myself unsure whether to avoid titles in some sort of 'protest' or to continue to buy what I want on the condition that if the creator shows themselves to be against what I consider 'appropriate' then I will most likely give their title a miss.

In the end, I've been told by my wife that I 'talk a good talk', which means I will probably just let things slide and keep doing what I do. In the end though, maybe I'm just a little disappointed in myself that I can't/don't do more to follow up on what I think is right in my little corner of the world.

That said, maybe I'm more disappointed that these companies who products I enjoy reading can't grow more of a spine to have the backs of those who create said products.

No comments:

Post a Comment